Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Pics of Abnorma, Gin Goblin, Judith Adrian and John Wyndham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I saw this thread. These are very impressive. I may just have to get some although my luck in the lottery is the same as predicted by the laws of probability.

I share you sentiment sarracenia. I personally don't find S. 'Leah Wilkerson' $100+ attractive, at least not the pics I have seen. I have bought many 'a 100 dollar plants but due to my preferences. I guess the only exception would be my Truncata black babies. I couldn't help getting caught in the hype on these. I bought two hoping for a chance at something close to the pics I have seen of the Queen.

Call me vain but I go by looks and not pedigree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many of us who have wondered over the years if the carnivorous plant hobby would ever experience the enthusiasm that orchids have had for many decades. I can recall this topic being discussed at conventions, huge gatherings of plant collectors (like the Miami Fairchild Ramble) and even on forums like this. While conservation is a huge concern, the general consensus has been that if our hobby exploded the way the orchid hobby has, the possibilities would be limitless. Think of the positive attention, especially to issues like poaching, that might result.

Some of the more contemporary "founding fathers" of this movement worked in the nepenthes arena. People like Clyde Bramblett, Bruce Bednar, Cliff Dodd, Bob Hanrahan and others created the beginnings of that effort back in the 70s and 80s. Today, many of us are doing the same in our own backyards.

I have to say that in the past ten years, I think I've begun to see a trend in this direction, particularly with sarracenia. As I was wandering through a Lowe's garden center the other day here in North Carolina, I wondered what it would take to see pots of pitcher plants here. This is NC, afterall. People should be able to grow them potted the ground. Water quality would be an issue, but I think a bit of education could make this possible. The point is, the general public might just be ready to start successfully growing these plants.

I guess that's what make me so excited about all of the sarracenia collectors on this forum. So much enthusiasm and even more possibilities. Nothing like this was happening 20 years ago...not even close. If I had had access 20 or 30 years ago to all of the plant sources now available on the internet...as well as all of the complex hybrids being sold there... I'd have been out of my mind.

The highlights of my sarracenia collection are the standout classic species...but like orchids, I think the multitudes of hybrid possibilities are what will keep this corner of our hobby vibrant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, i managed to take some photos with my new camera today. unfortunately, focusing is apparently my weakness, so some of these didn't turn out that great. i can't really tell how the pics turn out until I upload them. i guess i should've taken multiples of each.
    Here's John Wyndham - pretty plain looking so far. hard to tell, but it does have some white spotting on the lid:

Here's one Judith Adrian, not bad, but not great, yet, either:

Here's another Judith Adrian, so far, I think this one has the most potential. because of lighting/focusing, you can't tell, but the lid is nearly a solid white:

Here's the third Judith Adrian. This is the only pitcher open on it so far, and it is slightly deformed, so hard to say what this one will look like yet:

Here's an Abnorma, the first pitcher on the left and the newer one on the right. Looks like it'll end up having a rugelli-ish throat splotch:

Here's another Abnorma, this one is still in seedling stage, so you can't tell much:

Here's one Gin Goblin:

And another:

Took a few other photos while playing around.

Here's an open-pollinated leucophylla x moorei. Had to get a shot of the copious nectar production:

Here's an open-pollinated Judith Hindle. Nice coloration and an interesting shape:

These last two siblings, from an open-pollinated alata x flava. I still can't get over the coloration on these. The one in the second pic isn't quite that dark, but the lighting made it look that way. It still is a very dark purplish/red color, approaching black.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, here is a pic of all the grex I have. You can see the tags in the pitcures. I will get more updated pics of the open pithcers here soon.

Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my “Gin Goblin” – Pretty non-descript so far.

And this is “Judith Adrian” – Also non-descript so far. They both need to put some size on.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    I share you sentiment sarracenia. I personally don't find S. 'Leah Wilkerson' $100+ attractive, at least not the pics I have seen.
    I don't know Dash, I find ‘Leah Wilkerson’ awesome. I didn't pay $100 for mine either (and probably wouldn't) but it's one hec of a beauty to end up like this: (sorry to go off topic here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frilleon View Post
    OK, here is a pic of all the grex I have. You can see the tags in the pitcures. I will get more updated pics of the open pithcers here soon.

I can't really tell any of the Labels, sorry
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    I have all of those plants as well but no pics because no open pitchers yet. Maybe in a few more weeks I can show off!
    I've got some "bug" plants but waiting for the pitchers to develop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the bugs too.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.