What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of Abnorma, Gin Goblin, Judith Adrian and John Wyndham

• Thread starter Brokken
  • Start date
I guess I must be the only Sarr grower without any of these. I just thought the prices were a bit ridiculous to only be getting a grex. Some of these sure are turning out pretty nice though!

Considering the store they come from, I think they are very reasonably priced. IMO, $10 ain't a bad deal for a genetically unique plant.

Species hound here as well. Simple hybrids are OK sometimes too!

Considering the store they come from, I think they are very reasonably priced. IMO, $10 ain't a bad deal for a genetically unique plant.

Except it's not genetically unique (hence grex) and when they were first on sale the prices were much higher. Heck you can't even get a VFT red dragon at that nursery for 10 bucks. It's by far the most expensive nursery I can think of.

Edit: Ok I think I see what you mean, each plant within that grex is genetically unique in comparison to it's siblings. If that's what you mean then yes that is true but you're still only paying for the name of the plant then its looks. There's no possible way to determine what they'll look like down the line until they've reached that stage. Still not a good enough reason or price for me to buy.

That would make two of us French3.

With a collection like yours Phil I seriously doubt you will ever have the want or need to purchase grexes ever again seeing as you can make just about any of these yourself lol

With a collection like yours Phil I seriously doubt you will ever have the want or need to purchase grexes ever again seeing as you can make just about any of these yourself lol
That's very true. In fact...I've never purchased a grex before. It's too much fun doing it yourself.

Think of it like buying a lottery ticket: Chances are, you're going to end up with nothing spectacular. Then again, you might hit the jackpot. :)

I have never been disappointed buying from this fellow. He's got some great stuff, and the hitchhikers can be fun, too!

I have a rubra X oreo SM that's to die for! I want to grow it out, and go through the naming process, it's that pretty (and unique, IMHO).

I have never been disappointed buying from this fellow. He's got some great stuff, and the hitchhikers can be fun, too!

I have a rubra X oreo SM that's to die for! I want to grow it out, and go through the naming process, it's that pretty (and unique, IMHO).

I can see it now...Sarracenia x Stinkpot :-O

Think of it like buying a lottery ticket: Chances are, you're going to end up with nothing spectacular. Then again, you might hit the jackpot. :)

I like the way you think my friend!

:pics: :grin:

I'll get some pic's up of my grex's they are just starting to open their first pitchers. Mine are looking very promising! :woot:

You know, that's how I think of it. I like to consider myself a collector of hybrids. Not interested so much in pure species. When I saw these for sale last year, I was like "wow". These are hybrids I'd never be able to make myself, at least not anytime in the near future. I have no interest in spending $100 for 'Adrian Slack' on Ebay. I bought 3 of the Judith Adrian's and 2 Gin Goblins and 2 Abnorma's last year, thinking a couple of these should turn out awesome. And I got 1 John Wyndham this spring. So far, I think my two Gin Goblin's are "steals", whereas the jury is still out on my Abnorma's and Judith Adrian's. The John Wyndham is still basically in seedling stage, so I have no opinion yet, it looks as if it's leaning towards the Hurricane Creek White in appearance. Regardless, it's kind of nice knowing I have a bunch of plants that no one else has, and for only $10 a piece, in my mind it's a hell of a deal. French3z said something about paying for the name: personally, I don't look at it that way. I still would've purchased them even if they didn't have a cute name. I see stuff like Leah Wilkerson go for absurd amounts on Ebay, I've often wondered what it would go for if it was just labeled as "S. x moorei", with the same pic. Certainly, some people get sucked into the name game.
Anyway, I'm hoping to put pics of all my grexes tomorrow. Just got a new camera, a nice Nikon SLR. Still trying to figure it out. Got sick of my 6-year-old Kodak.
Sorry for the rambling, had a few more brewskies than usual.

Glad I saw this thread. These are very impressive. I may just have to get some although my luck in the lottery is the same as predicted by the laws of probability.

I share you sentiment sarracenia. I personally don't find S. 'Leah Wilkerson' $100+ attractive, at least not the pics I have seen. I have bought many 'a 100 dollar plants but due to my preferences. I guess the only exception would be my Truncata black babies. I couldn't help getting caught in the hype on these. I bought two hoping for a chance at something close to the pics I have seen of the Queen.

Call me vain but I go by looks and not pedigree.

There are many of us who have wondered over the years if the carnivorous plant hobby would ever experience the enthusiasm that orchids have had for many decades. I can recall this topic being discussed at conventions, huge gatherings of plant collectors (like the Miami Fairchild Ramble) and even on forums like this. While conservation is a huge concern, the general consensus has been that if our hobby exploded the way the orchid hobby has, the possibilities would be limitless. Think of the positive attention, especially to issues like poaching, that might result.

Some of the more contemporary "founding fathers" of this movement worked in the nepenthes arena. People like Clyde Bramblett, Bruce Bednar, Cliff Dodd, Bob Hanrahan and others created the beginnings of that effort back in the 70s and 80s. Today, many of us are doing the same in our own backyards.

I have to say that in the past ten years, I think I've begun to see a trend in this direction, particularly with sarracenia. As I was wandering through a Lowe's garden center the other day here in North Carolina, I wondered what it would take to see pots of pitcher plants here. This is NC, afterall. People should be able to grow them potted the ground. Water quality would be an issue, but I think a bit of education could make this possible. The point is, the general public might just be ready to start successfully growing these plants.

I guess that's what make me so excited about all of the sarracenia collectors on this forum. So much enthusiasm and even more possibilities. Nothing like this was happening 20 years ago...not even close. If I had had access 20 or 30 years ago to all of the plant sources now available on the internet...as well as all of the complex hybrids being sold there... I'd have been out of my mind.

The highlights of my sarracenia collection are the standout classic species...but like orchids, I think the multitudes of hybrid possibilities are what will keep this corner of our hobby vibrant.

ok, i managed to take some photos with my new camera today. unfortunately, focusing is apparently my weakness, so some of these didn't turn out that great. i can't really tell how the pics turn out until I upload them. i guess i should've taken multiples of each.
Here's John Wyndham - pretty plain looking so far. hard to tell, but it does have some white spotting on the lid:
johnwyndham.jpg

Here's one Judith Adrian, not bad, but not great, yet, either:
jadrian1.jpg

Here's another Judith Adrian, so far, I think this one has the most potential. because of lighting/focusing, you can't tell, but the lid is nearly a solid white:
jadrian2.jpg

Here's the third Judith Adrian. This is the only pitcher open on it so far, and it is slightly deformed, so hard to say what this one will look like yet:
jadrian3.jpg

Here's an Abnorma, the first pitcher on the left and the newer one on the right. Looks like it'll end up having a rugelli-ish throat splotch:
abnorma1.jpg

Here's another Abnorma, this one is still in seedling stage, so you can't tell much:
abnorma2.jpg

Here's one Gin Goblin:
goblin1.jpg

And another:
goblin2.jpg

Took a few other photos while playing around.

Here's an open-pollinated leucophylla x moorei. Had to get a shot of the copious nectar production:
nectarmooreiop.jpg

Here's an open-pollinated Judith Hindle. Nice coloration and an interesting shape:
jhindleop.jpg

These last two siblings, from an open-pollinated alata x flava. I still can't get over the coloration on these. The one in the second pic isn't quite that dark, but the lighting made it look that way. It still is a very dark purplish/red color, approaching black.
alataflava-op.jpg

alataflava-op2.jpg

OK, here is a pic of all the grex I have. You can see the tags in the pitcures. I will get more updated pics of the open pithcers here soon.

grex.jpg

Here is my “Gin Goblin” – Pretty non-descript so far.
1002713639x850.jpg

And this is “Judith Adrian” – Also non-descript so far. They both need to put some size on.
1002714639x850.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

I share you sentiment sarracenia. I personally don't find S. 'Leah Wilkerson' $100+ attractive, at least not the pics I have seen.

I don't know Dash, I find ‘Leah Wilkerson’ awesome. I didn't pay $100 for mine either (and probably wouldn't) but it's one hec of a beauty to end up like this: (sorry to go off topic here)
1002641639x850.jpg

1002646639x850.jpg

1002647639x850.jpg

1002743639x850.jpg

52091639x850.jpg

52092850x639.jpg

52093850x639.jpg

OK, here is a pic of all the grex I have. You can see the tags in the pitcures. I will get more updated pics of the open pithcers here soon.

grex.jpg

I can't really tell any of the Labels, sorry

I have all of those plants as well but no pics because no open pitchers yet. Maybe in a few more weeks I can show off!

I've got some "bug" plants but waiting for the pitchers to develop.

I have the bugs too.

Back