Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010, year of the pest

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything I have outside has bugs. I spray everything down with at least just plain old neem once a week, or sometimes just unleash a hoard of ladybugs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your style thez! I've thought about releasing ladybugs before my pitchers opened.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, if you leave them outside, it's like leaving a block of ham on the floor with a dog in the house: eventually the inevitable will happen.

Neem is usually called a "maintenance" sort of spray because if you really wanted to kill all the bugs you'd use pyrethrins and all that bayer 3 in 1 spray to nuke everything to orbit and make anything else that lands croak too for a couple months. Neem will wreck the current generation of bugs, but considering its short shelf life when you mix a new batch from oil, it's not going to stick around for too long so you'll get a re-infestation from new bugs that land that didn't get hit (which wouldnt' happen in a greenhouse/your house/etc.).

Of course, it doesn't smell as vile as the other pesticides to me (I think they all stink like formaldehyde) is why I just spray neem once a week. Lets me have a good excuse to spend some quality time with my plants once a week too .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a little trouble with SLUGS this year. Nasty little things, but great Dionaea food.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got aphids on some of my Sarrs for the first time this year. However, I got rid of them rather quickly.
    -Joel from Southern California

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Neem is usually called a "maintenance" sort of spray because if you really wanted to kill all the bugs you'd use pyrethrins and all that bayer 3 in 1 spray to nuke everything to orbit and make anything else that lands croak too for a couple months. Neem will wreck the current generation of bugs, but considering its short shelf life when you mix a new batch from oil, it's not going to stick around for too long so you'll get a re-infestation from new bugs that land that didn't get hit (which wouldnt' happen in a greenhouse/your house/etc.).

Of course, it doesn't smell as vile as the other pesticides to me (I think they all stink like formaldehyde) is why I just spray neem once a week. Lets me have a good excuse to spend some quality time with my plants once a week too .
    So you wipe out any beneficial insects and natural predators such as lacewings and ladybug larvae too. Seems rather counter productive to introduce ladybugs and then spray every week after-wards.

You want balance which you're not going to get with continuous use of insecticide not matter how "green" it is.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    So you wipe out any beneficial insects and natural predators such as lacewings and ladybug larvae too. Seems rather counter productive to introduce ladybugs and then spray every week after-wards.

You want balance which you're not going to get with continuous use of insecticide not matter how "green" it is.
    Actually I've never seen lacewings or ladybug larvae because I'm not sure the former exist where I live and the latter never stick around long enough. Honestly all I see on my pitcherplants is pest species and spiders - the spiders I move before spraying everything down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had some mites on my VFT's and aphids on my sarrs outdoors where I live. I used Green Light Neem II (has organic pyrethrins) with success, but lately I've resorted to just using water out of a spray bottle to knock them off. The aphids left my sarrs alone after the forming pitchers started to get all tough.

My limited usage bayer 3-in-1 so far has provided me with good results too, but I'm a little more comfy with organic.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12