Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010, year of the pest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2010, year of the pest

For me, this year has already proved to be the most difficult in regard to the number of pests I've had to deal with. I don't know if it's the rain we're getting here in Northern California, but for some reason I'm just inundated with problems. I haven't been growing Sarrs for too long, only about four dormancies. First there were thrips, then the scale, and now that most of my flowers have gone aphids have decided to move in. What gives Does anyone else seem to be having a crazy season?

Now I'm battling sooty black mold along with the aphids. Maybe I have my plants in the wrong area, between roses and vegetables. Bad idea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aphids nearly wiped out my VFTs this year, I think you may be on to something.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes bad idea! Move the away from other plants as these other plants harbor pests. Do you have them on the tray method? This method helps prevent some pests (non-flying). Ants tend to be the culprit for aphids. so the tray method with standing water will prevent them from coming from the ground. With other plants near your CP's they could be coming accross leafs. I've had a slight aphid break out on my VFT's but a treatment with Sevin cured that right up.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the same thing Frilleon. I do have them in the tray method, they've always been grown like this. I haven't noticed any ants, yet. The reason I have my plants between roses and vegetables is because it's where my yard gets all the sun, therefore I have all my sun loving plants! I'll have to do some experimenting with locals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishJeff View Post
    I was thinking the same thing Frilleon. I do have them in the tray method, they've always been grown like this. I haven't noticed any ants, yet. The reason I have my plants between roses and vegetables is because it's where my yard gets all the sun, therefore I have all my sun loving plants! I'll have to do some experimenting with locals.

Try getting a table and placing the plants on it. I have all my plants on a table. It has two benefits that I see.

1. gets plants off of ground
    2. allows for the plants to get about an hour more of sunlight. The fence in my yard would shade them if not raised.

This is a cheap and easy change.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always get the same pest every year around this time. I think it is some sort of mite. I just use a neem and pyrethrin mix for a couple weeks and once they're gone they don't seem to come back until the next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in NorCal as well and I've not noticed any outbreaks of pests - not any more so than any other year at least.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brokken: I'm in NorCal as well and I've not noticed any outbreaks of pests - not any more so than any other year at least.
    Forgive me if you've explained this in another post, but being that your in NorCal, what is your setup like? Do you grow your Sarrs in a greenhouse, in the open, or how? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast