Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ceph cutting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ceph cutting

hi would a ceph pitcher till root if it was cut off not pulled off? i have a cutting from 4 months ago and i looked at it today and still no roots so i diped it in some root hormones. then i put it back in the soil.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-rod View Post
    hi would a ceph pitcher till root if it was cut off not pulled off? i have a cutting from 4 months ago and i looked at it today and still no roots so i diped it in some root hormones. then i put it back in the soil.

If sufficient tissue from the rhizome was present, it has a good chance of rooting; but Cephalotus can take a few weeks to several months to root. My own record was over one year for some leaf cuttings and pitchers to exhibit new growth, while another pot grew within weeks . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why didn't you dip it in rooting compound in the first place?
    Rooting is possible, and your success will increase with the more leaf/stem you have to work with, as you know having as much of the portion where it attaches to the main stem increases your chance of success.
    If the cutting is still green and in good shape, in my opinion, you are still in the game! But above all now, keep it moist (not wet) and beyond that, go find something else to do for another 4 months! Rooting cuttings need one thing most of all... patience!

Take care and good luck.

(BBella! Didn't know you were here! You beat me by a moment! You said it all and your experience with these is better than mine! A year shows that you are indeed a patient man!)
    Last edited by GrowinOld; 04-29-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: update
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My own record was over one year for some leaf cuttings and pitchers to exhibit new growth
    wow thats crazy i dont really understand how a leaf or pitcher can live that long after being cut off of the main plant.

Why didn't you dip it in rooting compound in the first place?
    Rooting is possible, and your success will increase with the more leaf/stem you have to work with, as you know having as much of the portion where it attaches to the main stem increases your chance of success.
    If the cutting is still green and in good shape, in my opinion, you are still in the game! But above all now, keep it moist (not wet) and beyond that, go find something else to do for another 4 months! Rooting cuttings need one thing most of all... patience!

Take care and good luck.
    ok so there is still a chance... thats good i guess all there is to do is wait...