What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unofficial Cultivar: Fairy Wings

I'm tentatively calling this one "Fairy Wings". It appears to be some kind of moorei - though how introgressed, I'm not too sure. It's provenance is Peter's nursery where I got it as a sibling plant. For the last two years, the plant has put out this kind of pitcher, so I believe the traits are fixed - I will begin trading divisions of this plant later this year to determine if characteristics are stable over a wider range of conditions.

The flowers are a soft pink and flowers are had somewhere between flava and leucophylla. The pitchers are approximately 20 inches high with a slight curvature to them. They also have a slight ala which may hark to purpurea, psittacina or alata. The most notable feature is the soft lemon yellow color (see other moorei next to it for reference) of the pitchers which the plant grows out mostly during spring. Opening aperture is relatively small - comparable to that of leuco. The neck is relatively short - an inch or less with a slightly reflexing lid. A typical feature of this plant is the exceedingly long spur at the tip of the lid which exceeds the length of either of its suspected parents. Later in the season, the plant becomes suffused with red but still manages to retain a lot of it's white and yellow color. The name "Fairy Wings" refers to the irregularity of the lid - like the wings of a fairy - coupled with an almost diaphanous look to the pitchers. It is also not a very strong grower - again alluding to the delicate nature of fairies.

Finally, here are the pictures:

may2010-fairywings001.jpg

may2010-fairywings002.jpg

may2010-fairywings003.jpg

may2010-fairywings004.jpg

may2010-fairywings005.jpg

may2010-fairywings006.jpg

Those are looking Brokken! Are the pitchers in the 1st pic representative of it at the peak of it's growing season? What season does is choose to put out it's best pitchers?

I have to agree with you that it looks very much introgressed but the colors on it are splendid! Nice job!

I like the soft colors. The wavy ala is nice too!

Looks like you have everything you need for a cultivar: a name, a description, and a beautiful plant and propagules. :)

I like it a lot! IMO, the simple, classy hybrids like this are some of the most attractive.

I'll keep my eyes open for when you decide to trade. :)

very awesome plant. amazing coloration. too bad it seems to be very delicate. worthy of a cultivar name in my opinion.

Now that I like - none of the harshness of some of the other named moorei's, just some nice delicate color to it. I like the name too.

I LOVE that one

Back