Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: sarr seedlings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question sarr seedlings

i put the seeds on peat and perlite watered well and bagged , put in the veggie drawer in the fridge, 6 weeks ago , and now have moved them to a semi sunny location ,
    im wondering if i need to remove the layer of live sphagnum, or will they come up through the moss?, seems to me they cant get started with out the direct sunlight ??
    Help please , i can do a pic or tow if needed

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

here you go .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite method now is to use a wet paper towel and sow covered on LFS. I've used your method with success as well but which ever you end up using you'll have to eventually keep the moss trimmed back. The key to get germination seems to be heat while humidity accelerates the process a bit IME. The pics aren't loading but it sounds like you're doing everything correctly. The more sun/light, the better. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got very good results this years with 4 weeks dry plus 2 weeks wet strat. I put the seeds in a baggy in the fridge. I had a germination rate of 50% with only one seedling lost to damping off.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How thick is the layer of live Sphagnum? If it's less than 1/4" I wouldn't worry about it. The seeds don't need high levels of light to germinate, however the seedlings will. Live Sphagnum can overgrow the seedlings depriving them of the light they need.

Many people will cover their seeds with a very thin layer of finely chopped long fiber sphagnum moss (dried). This helps keep the seeds moist and supposedly has some anti-fungal (damp off) properties. By the time the chopped LFS starts growing the seedlings are usually well established.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks every one, and here ill try and load the pics again its just a thin layer of live sphag, and i'll go ahead and move them to the full sun side of the deck now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks great i have my sarracenia just in the warmth in a ziplock bag i dont give em sun and their growing! and i open the bag every 3-5 days to prevent mold but their darlingtonia