What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Natural Companion Plants for Cephalotus?

I'm working on making a "cove" type area with a slope to grow some Ceph's on and I was thinking some of the natural plants that grow with Ceph's would look good.

They would need to stay under 12" tall and be able to survive 40ish% humidity as this project will be under T5 lights without a top. Some of the bottom mud will flood with about 1/2" of water then almost dry out before being reflooded. The lowest winter temps these will be exposed to would be 55-60, summer 75-80.

Any suggestions would be great.

You can see the progress and what I'm working with here http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122053.

I can only think of one.....D.hamiltonii.

Some Pygmy Drosera and some pings would be nice

I had some pygmy Drosera growing with my Cephalotus before I transplanted them.

There are a few threads on ICPS forum from folks visiting their native habitat. Here's one: Pretty interesting pics showing some coarse white media. On companion plants:
D. spathulata doesn't grow here. D pulchella and D. hamiltonii are the only Drosera growing with the Ceph's.

BobZ,

Those articles were useful, but tracking down the non CP plants is harder than I thought it would be. I'm hoping to find some of the "grass, shrubs" alot the articles are listing but I can't seem to find any species or common names for them. Still looking thou.

http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/search/advanced

Genus = Cephalotus
Southwest = Esperance Plains

Then repeat
Genus = Drosera
Southwest = Esperance Plains

Check distribution map for Albany area. You can search for non-carnivorous genus too. Or leave all criteria except Southwest blank.

There are a few threads on ICPS forum from folks visiting their native habitat. Here's one: Pretty interesting pics showing some coarse white media. On companion plants:

Interesting pic's, I haven't stumbled across that thread yet. The more I read about Ceph habitat the more I think we are growing them in an alien way :jester:.

The grass in that first photo is a Gahnia species, they could be too large for my uses.

Back