Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm giving up on Sarracenia Minor

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed that they do not like water logged conditions. Use a good draining mix, mine has lots of perlite, sand, and lave rock with a little peat. Do not keep it in a tray of water constantly. They grow great like this.

What's funny is when I was doing my back-country canoe trip to the Okefenokee and saw all the S. minors growing there, they where growing in water logged conditions.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find minor, in general, to be the most difficult Sarracenia to grow. 'Okeefenokee Giant' has been the easiest for me. Even the southernmost minor that grow nearest to me are difficult. I have one from Clay County, FL that is doing well. I'm not sure what it is. I have discovered, however, that it is best to repot and handle it in winter than any other time. It really dislikes being disturbed in spring and summer, more so than other Sarracenia.

As others have pointed out, I grow it very dry. The soil almost looks parched before I water it again. I have seen it growing in rock-hard dry soil in central Florida.

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my Sarrs outside year round, I live near Niagara Falls. I gave up on S.minor due to the (what in my mind is a) fact that they really don't handle the winters we get very well, whereas all of my other types grow just fine.

It could have something to do with waterlogging in spring from what I am reading here- if I ever get another one I will keep it in a pot and put it in the basement overwinter maybe, I really like the look of the species and it's a bummer that they are so finicky for me!
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They probably will not tolerate extreme winters as much as other Sarracenia. They are the southernmost, after all. It also probably depends where the minor originated. You might have better luck with a NC minor as opposed to a Florida one, for example. Either way, I would definitely protect it from harsh winters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh. Weird, my S. minor was in a tray full of water (with all of my Sarrs, VFTs, temperate Drosera) last year. Because of the usual cool springs we have in Canada, I didn't get a single pitcher out until July and August. Then it took off, throwing out leaves just as fast as my other Sarrs. Same water table, of course. Heck, it even flowered :P

I expect the same this year, but probably no flower. With the warmer spring we've had, I can see some new pitchers popping up
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My minors are in a minibog with a bunch of purps and flava, and some Judith Hindle. They all get flooded to where the rhizome is sitting in water every couple of days. They grew just fine in trays for 5ish months since last summer until I replanted to the minibog, and are throwing out flowers this year (got 'em from Home Depot last summer). They don't seem pickier than any other Sarrs imho, but maybe they're just setting me up for failure because I've only had them for 9mo so far?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can the location or mother plant matter? Reason is because I bought 2 minor 2 yrs ago, both growing in the same conditionds. They were next to each other in the same tray and media however, one died and the other one is thriving. Pretty weird I think. I check for worms or any pest or disease and nothing.
    The one I still have is growing the same way my other sarracenia's and it seems that everything is OK so far.
    Growlist

Jesse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyherrera View Post
    Even the southernmost minor that grow nearest to me are difficult.

@Manny: Didn't you, Bruce, and Clyde get mistaken for bank robbers or murderers while you were scouting these in the wild? I remember something to that effect in the CPN.

Oz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast