Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm giving up on Sarracenia Minor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha. Yes, we were at the southernmost minor site known at the time, near the town of Okeechobee, FL. There is a large state prison near the site and several inmates had recently escaped when we were up there. The police did stop us, but the encounter didn't last too long.

The minor at that site were huge. We called them 'Okeechobee Giant'. They were difficult to grow though. Bruce and Clyde made them available for a while. I wonder if any are still in cultivation. I hope so as the site is unfortunately no longer in existence. Well it is, but there are now only melons growing there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to see it gives so much trouble. I managed to kill one, and its replacement has limped along for two years now. I'll have to try keeping it drier. They really are a beautiful species and I'd really like to get a big clump of them one day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Manny stated: Grow 'em dry.
    A biologist friend of ours found a stand of minor in Ft. Pierce, FL, east of I-95, which would be the warmest climate for Sarracenia known to us. This places them close to the warming effects of the gulf stream, unlike the Okeechobee sites inland. The entire stand was recently destroyed by fire fighting chemicals when fires moved thru the area in spring a couple of years ago. The site was very close to an industrial park. We suspect there may be more minors in the area, and would not be surprised if someday they are found in Martin County.
    They are problematic in cultivation though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had a problem with growing Minor wet. I use the dried sphagnum moss found in Lowes and they do fine. I have a speciman of the Okeechobee Minor I got from Bruce Bednar several years back and its doing well. Just got done flowering. I keep it in a large plastic bin which retains water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my Minor wet. In the fall I take it out of the pot, cut off the pitchers, wash off the roots, place it in a zip lock bag and refrigerate until late winter/early spring. She's growing like crazy right now.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My gripe with S. Minor is that is grows very slowly because I made the mistake of clipping down to the rhizome in March even though the old pitchers were half green, other than that I treat most of my Sarr's like tomato plants and I don't even use a water tray because the salt deposits build up. I grow in pure LFS because I was too cheap to ship 5-6 gallons of peat/perlite and I had a couple pounds of LFS from the nep repotting project. Mine isn't flowering but it did grow 2 new growth points this season and it used to be a size small from the nursery.

Other than that, it's probably one of my favorite Sarracenia to buy and the hybrids it makes are just magnificent. Just an original plant in it's own right.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123