Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm giving up on Sarracenia Minor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm giving up on Sarracenia Minor

I'm pretty much done trying to grow Sarracenia Minor. I've bought 4 different Minors in the past year, and they are all difficult to grow and the last one is on the verge of death.

I've given it tons of sun and various amounts of watering, whether it's soaking wet or barely damp or a nice wet soil inbetween. And the results are always the same. The plant sends up a few deformed leaves before rotting away.

My Purpurea Venosa, Flava, Leucophylla, Psitticinia, and Rubra all thrived and flowered. Meanwhile, Minor rots away within a month or two of me purchasing the plant.

I'm done with Minor.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minor seems to be a little tough for a lot of people.
    Mine was in slow decline all of last year and finally kicked the bucket over the winter. All of my other Sarrs were/are growing just fine.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally go with a low water table, allow that to evaporate, and water every couple of days. Treat it as you would a Cephalotus. Mine are just sending up its first pitchers and flowers of 2010 . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're no different from any other sarracenia.

Weird.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    They're no different from any other sarracenia.

Weird.
    S. minor generally does not take well to being water-logged on a regular basis; in that sense, it is a bit more particular than most other Sarracenia. Mine thrive on their own but not in the deep trays with the other species . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. minor has been a weird one for me as well. It's the temperamental one of the group for some reason. I've lost a few, and some nice ones actually. As Bella stated I've noticed that they don't like being waterlogged, but when I transplanted mine to a airier mix, it kicked the bucket within a month. I think a large developed division helps ease the shock of transplant for them.
    A nursery in Oregon finds them to be odd as well. When I conversed with them over minor, they found that S. minor roots were never white like other Sarrs, usually signs of nutrients in the soil they mentioned. I have had white roots on my S. minors but that didn't stop them for going the way of the dodo...
    I'll eventually give minors a try again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a time in the mid to late-1980s when you could see Sarracenia minor growing along the roadsides in North Florida, between Gainesville and Jacksonville. Unlike lots of other sarracenia, which grew along the roadsides in wet, swampy conditions, these minors grew on the elevated embankments, in higher, drier conditions. Closer to the Okeefenokee, they would grow in wetter environments. I think most of the minors in cultivation today are of the former type, preferring the drier growing medium. I have some typical minors in my collection, however--not the Okee giants--that seem to prefer wetter soil. I suspect that when obtaining minor, if you don't know specific location data, you have to do some experimentation to see which condition they prefer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i purchased mine, it was 2 growth points 3 years ago and didnt do too well that first year i had it, last year though, it grew like crazy and is now about 12 growth points and it looks like its coming out of dormancy just fine this year, but as with previous years, the first few pitchers are deformed and it seems pretty typical of it...atleast for me. i hope your last one survives, you could try potting it in a smaller pot(like a 5-6 inch pot), thats what i did and it loved it. i see people saying drier, but mine seemed to like it just fine with the other sarrs...just a thought.

~billy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast