What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora x "Tequila" . . .

Here is a shot of one of my larger Heliamphora x "Tequila" plants. This particular clone remains largely green, regardless of the amount of sun it receives, even while neighboring Heliamphora plants generally become bright to dark red.

I recently obtained a division of a predominantly red clone and am eager to see how it develops -- which brings to mind an issue I have with this supposed hybrid (originally from Exotica Plants in Australia): I have yet to see two H. x "Tequila" plants which appear very similar.

Have other growers experienced this as well?

Heliamphora x "Tequila"

HTEQUILA.jpg

HTEQUILA2.jpg

here is mine , :poke:want to trade one of your for one of mine?
love to find out first hand if there are any differences in yours and mine.
i do think mine looks quite a lot like this one of yours.
IMG_1868.jpg
IMG_1869.jpg
the upper two came from this lower one, its is growing very well and its the second time I've
divided, shows no signs of stress ,:-D to me at least,:blush:
IMG_1871.jpg

Just from appearances, yours looks quite similar to mine. The new clone I obtained is primarily a dark red in color.

I responded in a PM . . .

Tequila Color

BigBella,

I've always have been in awe of your plants, especially your Hummer's Giants.
Concerning the color of Tequila clones, I've had just the opposite reaction. This plant seems to be an aberration or a freak of nature. It was grown side by side in the same terrarium under all the same conditions with my other Tequila’s. All were divided from the Mother plant at the same time, but this plant was NEVER green. It started out yellow then started turning red. Its smaller than its brothers and has sent up babies twice as fast and 4 times the size of my other plants babies of the same age. Since the babies started out yellow like the Mother and are now turning red, I assume its going to breed true. This Tequila was purchased from B****j****e in 2006 and they received the seed grown plants from Geoff Mansell of Exotica Plants in Australia. I have read that this plant took from three to eight crosses to achieve. I've only seen pictures of two different verities, one was someone in Europe. It had a much more slender pitcher with no bulge in the middle.
UpWiz's pictures show one of my normal Tequila's. He seems pleased with it even though it is a young adult, but he has not yet experienced the beauty and size of a mature adult.

I would attach a couple of pictures, but for some reason theres no button for inserting a picture from my computer. When I click on the Insert Picture Icon it only gives me the option of using a URL???

ccgpro

I heard that they were all seed grown so each has different colors and qualities
I know someone will correct me if this info is inaccurate or a duplication
I recieved 2 from Autsralia in 2007 unfortunately one died about a year after and I have the other one in foster care
There are some things jest not suited to my growing area

Yeah, I too have heard that they were seed-grown; but it still remains that their appearances vary such a huge degree, even among those others grown from seed. My H. heterodoxa, H. nutans, H. pulchella, H. chimantensis, and several others have produced seed over the years; but those plants remain recognizable members of those species, maybe with a minor variation in terms of color and size . . .

Last edited:
Do you think I can grow this guy:

Picture006-1.jpg
'Teqyuila'

in this setup, along with a cobra lily and Aldrovanda, in Buffalo, NY?

Picture001-3.jpg

Picture002-14.jpg

It has been at a window sill for the past several months, with a plastic dome that has a hole at the top for venting heat.

I would suggest that the Heliamphora be given more light -- to further develop the nectar spoons. Are you intending to grow it outside, along with the other plants you mentioned? If so, do protect it from the Summer heat . . .

Tequila Color

BigBella,

Thanks! I was trying to avoid using a photo hosting service. The Forum's Moderator will need to update the FAQ section. The photos below are not retouched in any way except for sizing.
Jim Scott's tequila's are similar to the pictures of the tequilas is saw in Europe, except the pitchers were darker green and the mouth was more typical and nectar spoon was more pronounced.
RT014s.jpg

RT010s.jpg

ccgpro

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

BigBella,

Looks like the pictures didn't go through??? Here are the PhotoBucket addresses.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/ccgpro/Tequila/RT014s.jpg
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/ccgpro/Tequila/RT010s.jpg

ccgpro

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos. The predominantly red plant resembles the division I recently received and the the green one resembles my larger plant . . .

LOL! We're talking Buffalo, NY. The air temp averages 81 F at the peak of summer, although we do see the occasional 90 F. The water coming the bog is cool. I would put it right next to the cobra lily and Aldrovanda. It would get a south and west exposure, with the trees blocking the east.

LOL! We're talking Buffalo, NY. The air temp averages 81 F at the peak of summer, although we do see the occasional 90 F. The water coming the bog is cool. I would put it right next to the cobra lily and Aldrovanda. It would get a south and west exposure, with the trees blocking the east.

I have friends in the South who successfully grow Heliamphora in the temperature and exposure you mentioned -- also, along with Darlingtonia . . .

Decisions, decisions....

Hey any chance I could buy some small divisions of Each? I am located in Nor Cal for easy shipping - I think i've met you before for a sale in 2013 in Marin. Would be a huge help for me to buy these specific Plants. Thanks!

Back