What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to grow helis outside

thez_yo

instigator
Welp, I had the Helis with clear containers upturned over their pots to keep humidity in, but I decided I should put them in a terrarium instead. I left this uncovered today on the balcony, but I get the feeling the humidity isn't enough (and don't want to risk killing a bunch of Helis), so I've put a big clear glass plate on top of it too. This leaves 4 corners (about 2" square triangles of mesh) exposed still for air circulation. They're all sitting in about 1/2" water.

Here's the box sitting in with a bunch of other plants:
P5210024.jpg

I think the best sort of light to bring their color out is sunshine, and I'm sure they love the temp drops outside (at least 10 degrees at night where I live).

As if humidity and the need for night time temp drops weren't enough. I think you may have problems if temps get above 86F during the day. I am pretty sure I have read that most/all heli's contain a parasitic fungus that can reach critical mass at 86F. This is more prevalent in larger plants though.

Yup, I might have to bring them in August/September/October when it actually makes it higher than 80 degrees here for a few months...I'm entirely sure if it's 90+ outside I'll want the A/C on.

Whaaa?!? 90 degrees in October. I am calling Mayflower and moving this instant! :)

I just put this:

Picture006-1.jpg

in here:

Picture002-14.jpg

Picture001-3.jpg

along with

Picture004-7.jpg

Picture-4.jpg

Picture010-3.jpg

and the cobra lily in here:

Picture018.jpg

as well as a few pots of D. macrantha tubers

dashman: yes :)

jimscott: San Diego is a desert + water pipes, so I've got no marsh/swamp :-( I miss Vermont

Back