Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Plant Dehydration?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cobra Plant Dehydration?

So I've had my cobra plant for two or three years now. It's done well so far. I'm proud that I've kept it alive.
    Anyway, I've noticed a few of their "heads" have become pruny. Like someone stuck a straw in them and sucked the life from them. I've never ever seen this before. Could this be too much heat (it's a small plant in a large white ceramic pot, airy media, and I water it with cool water twice a day or leave distilled ice cubes on top of the soil to melt over the day)
    I treat my plants regularly with Green Light Neem II...so I don't think it could be pests.
    My new S. Love Bug pitcher has also come out similarly retarded. All scrunchy and stuff.
    I'll try to post pictures once it's day light.

After looking at it in the daylight, I saw that it's rotting at the base =\ I had to cut everything off. Here's hoping it can be saved.
    Last edited by lizasaur; 05-25-2010 at 05:51 AM.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we're talking last years pitchers their shelf life is about expired. Start trimming them off.

Otherwise regular sprayings of pesticide isn't going to get rid of root mealy bugs. If anything it will just drive them further into the pot or make them resistant to the spray. Check the little nooks and crannies at the bases of the pitchers for critters. Checking the roots wouldn't be a bad idea either.

If your pitcher sizes have stayed the same or gotten progressively smaller each year then your plant is declining and will probably check out to the Great Mulch Pile in the sky in a year or two.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I'm talking about this seasons new pitchers =\ The old ones typically just start browning from the tongue and up/back.

After looking at the pictures, I know I don't have root mealybugs. I was thinking it'd be one of the sucky insects, like mites or aphids, but the Neem oil should be destroying those, which is why I was initially confused.

This years were bigger than lasts. It's just all of a sudden, their hoods started deflating, and it showed to be rot. I think what happened is I buried the "rhizome" of it, and that might be what's done it. Or not. That's just my guess, and to be honest, I've no real idea what I'm talking about. The base where all the pitchers came up was soft and brown all the way through, and the brown was creeping up the base of the leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think you might have solved your problem, you said it's really hot? it's really important to keep the pot as cool as possible, either with running cold water or ice packs or something. cobras are really susceptible to overheating.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hot, but it gets watered with cool distilled water twice a day, with ice cubes left on the soil during the day. It's also a large, white ceramic pot. The soil is definitely cool, I just didn't know if the leaves themselves were susceptible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ceramic pot's glazed right? seems like the rhizome is treated well-- maybe not enough oxygen getting to the roots/rhizome? sorry cant be of any better help.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, glazed.
    Maybe. After killing the first time, I went through great care to ensure this media was light and airy this time. I keep the soil wet and cool.
    I've no idea what happened. I hope it comes back, as I can't find any for sale anywhere.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowes (usually) carries TC plants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast