User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 26

Thread: heli tank pics

  1. #9
    Av8tor1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,811
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One trick when they arrive like that is to soak them for a couple hours to overnight before you pot them up...
    (you will usually see pics of mine soaking in a trichoderma brew, I do it as part of my normal procedure)
    and if they are smallish with no roots then soak them in a weak fert mix over night

    gives them some food to build with until they have an established root system to feed themselves

    of course ymmv
    Av

  2. #10
    What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Z! You were not joking when you said you had started collecting Helis! Keep an eye on them. Av's Helis like to melt if the humidity isn't kept high enough and then slowly lowered. His Cephs are worse, they melt to nothingness no matter what! LOL

    Good luck!
    Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

  3. #11
    Av8tor1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,811
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    omg



  4. #12
    instigator thez_yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, USA
    Posts
    5,025
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    One trick when they arrive like that is to soak them for a couple hours to overnight before you pot them up...
    (you will usually see pics of mine soaking in a trichoderma brew, I do it as part of my normal procedure)
    and if they are smallish with no roots then soak them in a weak fert mix over night

    gives them some food to build with until they have an established root system to feed themselves

    of course ymmv
    Av
    I'm contemplating trichoderma because your plants look good but I'm not sure where to find it - where's your source if I can know?

    And which fert do you use at what dilution? I have some more coming in next month I think and I don't want to crispify them too....and can I pour said fert solution into their pitchers during normal growing too?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crissytal View Post
    Av's Helis like to melt if the humidity isn't kept high enough and then slowly lowered. His Cephs are worse, they melt to nothingness no matter what! LOL

    Good luck!
    Crystal


    thanks!

    ---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    omg



  5. #13
    Av8tor1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,811
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    I'm contemplating trichoderma because your plants look good but I'm not sure where to find it - where's your source if I can know?

    And which fert do you use at what dilution? I have some more coming in next month I think and I don't want to crispify them too....and can I pour said fert solution into their pitchers during normal growing too?





    thanks!
    I prefer ampacbiotech.com's products... you can go directly to them (TF member true424 "Kelly") or go to crissy, she is an authorized distributor....

    Just start with an 1/8th or 1/4th tsp per gallon, and yes you can apply to the pitchers and to the roots. Once established i like to root feed once a month and use fish pellets or bugs in the pitchers (depending on season) It's always a good idea to start weak and work up...
    Just too many unknown and inter-related variables to give a black and white answer Zu

    oh Ive used Lowe's orchid food, maxsea etc....

    hehehehe I feel so abused

    Av
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-28-2010 at 01:18 PM.

  6. #14
    RL7836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissytal View Post
    Av's Helis like to melt if the humidity isn't kept high enough and then slowly lowered. His Cephs are worse, they melt to nothingness no matter what! LOL
    Whenever I receive plants, I assume that they were grown 'soft' (unless I know differently) and start them in a high humidity environment. From there, I slowly acclimate to my conditions. No issues with plants from Av or Wistuba with this approach ....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

    *** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

  7. #15
    instigator thez_yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, USA
    Posts
    5,025
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    I prefer ampacbiotech.com's products... you can go directly to them (TF member true424 "Kelly") or go to crissy, she is an authorized distributor....

    Just start with an 1/8th or 1/4th tsp per gallon, and yes you can apply to the pitchers and to the roots. Once established i like to root feed once a month and use fish pellets or bugs in the pitchers (depending on season) It's always a good idea to start weak and work up...
    Just too many unknown and inter-related variables to give a black and white answer Zu

    oh Ive used Lowe's orchid food, maxsea etc....

    hehehehe I feel so abused

    Av
    K thanks
    Do you mean Crissytal from the U.S. or someone else who I think is named Crissy from some Pacific Island?
    And can you give me a brand or product name on a fish food that you've found safe for your Helis? I'd rather not try random stuff on my own and possibly accidentally kill some...I think I've heard of people feeding their plants some koi or betta pellets?


    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Whenever I receive plants, I assume that they were grown 'soft' (unless I know differently) and start them in a high humidity environment. From there, I slowly acclimate to my conditions. No issues with plants from Av or Wistuba with this approach ....
    Oh I did, but this one must've been super extra soft in comparison to anything I've ever bought from anyone

  8. #16
    Av8tor1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,811
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our girl Crissytal.... the domestic variant (ducking hehehehehe )

    I use Hikari brand Cichlid Staple fish pellets, medium size IIRC, (green bag not the red bag "Gold" pellets... dunno if it matters)
    One bag will last for years
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-28-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Few Heli pix.
    By JMatt in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 10:09 PM
  2. Heli help!
    By xantius in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-05-2009, 07:35 AM
  3. New tank pics
    By fudog in forum Greenhouses, Terrariums and Bog Gardens
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 11:14 PM
  4. Looking for pics of a members heli setup
    By rattler in forum Greenhouses, Terrariums and Bog Gardens
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 09:00 AM
  5. Tank pics!
    By Sundewd in forum Fresh Water Aquariums
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 02:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •