Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: few pics of Sarra's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. If you post another set of pictures in the future please post another of your oreophila x purpurea pitcher. I'd like to see one fully open.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uphwiz View Post
    very nice indeed , i havent had much luck with garden plantings, whats the secret of the media down deep in the mini community pots, mine always seems to start to smell rotten after one season , are you re potting the whole mass each year with new media , isnt that expensive?
    you know, i've never changed the media. i've always used a peat/perlite mixture, although i switched to peat/sand this year, and will probably stick with the sand from now on. i've never noticed any rot, although i do keep my tubs on the dry side of things. i think they can take dryness more than people give 'em credit for. the only time they are ever waterlogged is when we get like a 2-3 inch rain, which only happens a few times a year. i let them dry out between waterings, probably to the point where I would call it damp, where the peat will crumble if you pick it up. my RO only puts out a couple of gallons/day, so I'd be filling jugs all the time if I tried to keep them wet. i probably should change the media, though, in some of the older tubs, i think my oldest is like 5-6 years old now. I tested my RO water a few weeks ago (i happen to work in a water quality lab) for dissolved solids using the evaporation method - weigh a dish, put 100 mL of water in it, evaporate it, weigh the dish again - and got 12 mg/L of dissolved solids. I did our tap water too, hoping I could maybe use that, but i got 200 mg/L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a pic of that orephila x purpurea, 2 weeks later, as well as several others I took today.

oreophila x purpurea

an unknown hybrid, about to open. I personally think Sarracenia can look pretty cool right before they open.

Evidence that Sarracenia can self-pollinate themselves. This is from an open-pollinated, antho-free leucophylla x jonesii.

an open-pollinated alata x flava

an open-pollinated 'Boob Tube'. This one reminds me of a goblin for some reason.

Another instance of probable self-pollination. This is a newly-opened 'Ladies In Waiting'

And this is a newly-opened open-pollinated 'Ladies In Waiting', at 2.5 years old.

'Love Bug'

A leucophylla x minor seedling showing some good coloration

purpurea x jonesii - antho-free

readii x (catesbaei x flava)

'Red Sumatra'

'Tapestry'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, I hope my future sarrs will look that good sme day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful! Thanks for posting the requested picture.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oreo x purpurea is very nice! I would like a division of that when you have one. Thanks for sharing pictures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12