Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarrs?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Entirely off topic, but did you see this cartoon today, speaking of people from Michigan being weird? (Full disclosure: I spent 2 years in Ann Arbor for Grad School and had some native MI friends.)

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/0...n-michigan.gif
    (don't know if I'm allowed to direct link it to here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those aren't fiddleheads, at least not fiddleheads like I've ever seen. Fiddleheads unfurled themselves some time ago and, in fact, it looks like there's a long-opened fern in the high foreground in the right-center of the photo. I used to eat fiddleheads when I lived in Maine, but I doubt I've had them more than once in the nearly 20 years since I moved away. They do taste a lot like asparagus, but asparagus is better in my opinion.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, I was thinking fiddleheads came up about the same time as the morels. Like back in April or May.. I can't wait for dinner time tonight! Having steamed asparagus with steak and fried morels.. mmm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ferns come in different species with different growth habits and periods just like everything else. I have 5 different species of fern on my property here in Florida to including tree ferns and yes the new leaves look just like that in the photo when their unfurling. The only true way to tell is to go back to the site and pluck a leave and unroll the thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look like ferns to me too but I can say for sure they’re not purp flowers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cpman - What's the name of the fern you're thinking of? I'd like to see what it looks like because I can't remember ever seeing one like that, even when I lived in the south or when visiting FL. Maybe I'm wrong (I am 1/2 of the time, optimistically speaking), but all the ferns I can think of up here open in the spring.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12