User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heliamphora minor X heterodoxa ready to multiply!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heliamphora minor X heterodoxa ready to multiply!

Along with dividing my Heliamphora nutans today, I also did my Heliamphora minor X heterodoxa that I got back in late December. It has grown well, but it's not as colorful nor has it developed the nice nectar spoons that it had when I got it:
    http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/my...oxa-t3617.html
    My guesses as to why it's not developing the color and nectar spoons are:
    1) The lighting I'm using isn't as good as what it was under.
    2) The fertilizing makes it so that the plant doesn't need to develop nectar spoons and color to attract insects because it's getting all the nutrition it needs from the soil.

Anyway, here are some photos of the dividing and repotting process.

Uprooted:

Divided:

Repotted:

At home in their terrarium with all of their Heli friends:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nectar spoon issue is entirely governed by lighting and is an issue with that same plant by my kitchen sink. During the Summer, the leaves look far better and more developed; and the nectar spoons diminishing during the shorter days of Fall and Winter. If you place them in your greenhouse, they'll certainly flourish . . .

Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    The nectar spoon issue is entirely governed by lighting and is an issue with that same plant by my kitchen sink. During the Summer, the leaves look far better and more developed; and the nectar spoons diminishing during the shorter days of Fall and Winter. If you place them in your greenhouse, they'll certainly flourish . . .
    Awesome! Thanks for the information. I'll move some of them out to the greenhouse and see how they do. I'm a bit worried about the lower humidity levels and higher temperatures out there. Any idea what most species of Heliamphora can take on the upper end of the temperature scale? The good thing about Ashland is that it always cools off at night. But it's not unusual for the temperature to get above 90°F in the greenhouses during the day in the summer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all of the hybrids can tolerate higher temperatures than the species themselves. The bigger issue is in keeping the root system cool (much like Darlingtonia -- and trays can often take care of that). I have friends in Austin, Texas who grow a few Heliamphora outside -- and it gets sweltering there in Summer.

The cool nights will certainly help, though I recall a 2006 weekend in Ashland where I was sure -- based on the temperature at midnight -- that I was on another planet. I even had to hose down my dog . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    The cool nights will certainly help, though I recall a 2006 weekend in Ashland where I was sure -- based on the temperature at midnight -- that I was on another planet. I even had to hose down my dog . . .
    Wow! That doesn't sound like the usual Ashland weather, at least not what we've experienced so far. Last summer was our first summer here and we moved in at the end of July during a record breaking hot spell. It was over 110°F a couple of the first few days we were here. Even with that sweltering heat it still dropped down near 60°F at night.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are turning me green!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt, I think one of the same clones.... it exhibits the same characteristic if the lighting isn't very intense. Even now, it is on the end of my rack and has reverted back to what you are seeing.

Helis are hungry buggers aren't they

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Matt, I think one of the same clones.... it exhibits the same characteristic if the lighting isn't very intense. Even now, it is on the end of my rack and has reverted back to what you are seeing.
    OK, that's good to know Butch, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Helis are hungry buggers aren't they
    Man, are they! I've been recklessly soil fertilizing and feeding betta pellets to my H. nutans and H. minor because I have those two species in tissue culture now and I can replace them if I kill them. I haven't seen any adverse effects to them yet and they seem to grow like crazy!

I've been more lightly fertilizing my others, and they're growing well too. I'm going to get to see my first Heliamphora flower soon as my H. pulchella is starting to flower

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast