Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Growing in Phoenix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I don't see how posts like these helps anybody.
    Thanks for trying to keep everything on topic, I dont mind it much but I do know that once one comment is made it can slip into the off-topic abyss pretty easily.

Thanks for the comments everyone...keep them coming, Im still building a plan
    _________

-Josh Gertz
    Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wasnt trying to stray from the topic...i was simply replying to his comment, so sorry.

Again, if you need any info growing sarrs there in AZ
    contact Adnedarn, as i dont believe Nepenthes101 grows sarracenia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard of people growing in styrofoam insulated pots in really hot environments.

I believe it helps deflect the suns heat from the soil. I have no personal experience growing with insulated pots so I can't really help out any further than that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure sure, blame it all on me. I'll take the rap..

I recommended Mike because he seems to really know alot about growing in general in the desert climates. That and I didn't know anyone else right off the top of my head. Hope you find the info your looking for..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    I have heard of people growing in styrofoam insulated pots in really hot environments.

I believe it helps deflect the suns heat from the soil. I have no personal experience growing with insulated pots so I can't really help out any further than that.
    Not a bad idea, I could either start buying my morning drinks in the 32oz Styrofoam cups from the convenience store or buy a few of the larger coolers from Wal-Mart or something.
    _________

-Josh Gertz
    Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the high desert on the western boundary of the Mojave. My summer temps are probably not as high as yours. Instead of constantly getting in the 110-120 range, mine constantly get in the 100-110 range.

I really don't do anything special. I just make sure everything is always well watered. I primarily top water all my Sarrs with cool water every late afternoon. On the hottest days of summer I top water and fill trays up. Sarrs don't mind full blazing sun. I place flytraps behind the Sarrs so they get less direct sun.

Lastly, I watch out for strong winds and weather channel wind advisories as the winds typically carry a lot of sand and sediment that can accumulate on the plant's growing media and trays. To combat this I put the plants inside on bad days an I frequently rinse out all trays.

Good luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joossa View Post
    I'm in the high desert on the western boundary of the Mojave. My summer temps are probably not as high as yours. Instead of constantly getting in the 110-120 range, mine constantly get in the 100-110 range.

I really don't do anything special. I just make sure everything is always well watered. I primarily top water all my Sarrs with cool water every late afternoon. On the hottest days of summer I top water and fill trays up. Sarrs don't mind full blazing sun. I place flytraps behind the Sarrs so they get less direct sun.

Lastly, I watch out for strong winds and weather channel wind advisories as the winds typically carry a lot of sand and sediment that can accumulate on the plant's growing media and trays. To combat this I put the plants inside on bad days an I frequently rinse out all trays.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the tips Joossa! I know exactly where you are, I lived off of Division and Horizon for years and I still have family in the Antelope Valley.
    _________

-Josh Gertz
    Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi in Australia we get peaks of 45 degrees in Sydney which is like 113 fahrenheit for a few weeks peak summer. Sarracenia should be fine as long as you maintain a good water level.

I grow mine in pots and use styrofoam boxes as a tray and maintain a 2 - 6 inch water level during the really hot months as a buffer. (I only check on them every 2 - 3 days)

Dont let them dry out or they are goners in the heat!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast