What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips for Growing in Phoenix

Hey everyone,

Id like to get some tips for growing Sar's in high heat areas like Phoenix. (110-120 during the summer months)

I'm trying to think of good ways to use the limited space I currently have...no greenhouse :(

I'm thinking my problems are going to be keeping the water level up and keeping the roots cool so they don't overheat.

Any ideas and suggestions?

talk to Nepenthes101.. He's from Tuscon and may be able to give you some advice.

Nepenthes 101 and Adnedarn are both in Tuscon, there are a few others who i cant think of off the top of my head though and one is in phoenix...

I know a kid in Puyallup, Washington that knows alot about alot.. He's really cool and might be able to help. Lemme see if I can remember who it was though. :scratch:

xD
there is quite a few people in puyallup so hmmm who could you be talking about rofl

I have asked

talk to Nepenthes101.. He's from Tuscon and may be able to give you some advice.

Yeah I chatted with Nep a bit yesterday and he said he didn't have much luck with Sar's when he was growing them.

I shot Andy a PM as well so hopefully he gets back to me.

I know a kid in Puyallup, Washington that knows alot about alot.. He's really cool and might be able to help. Lemme see if I can remember who it was though. :scratch:

xD
there is quite a few people in puyallup so hmmm who could you be talking about rofl

I don't see how posts like these helps anybody.

And this one is sooo helpful. :rollseyes:

Nepenthes 101 and Adnedarn are both in Tuscon, there are a few others who i cant think of off the top of my head though and one is in phoenix...

After these posts, I don't think a little friendly humor hurts anyone.. lighten up.

Thanks for trying to keep everything on topic, I dont mind it much but I do know that once one comment is made it can slip into the off-topic abyss pretty easily.

Thanks for the comments everyone...keep them coming, Im still building a plan :)

i wasnt trying to stray from the topic...i was simply replying to his comment, so sorry.

Again, if you need any info growing sarrs there in AZ
contact Adnedarn, as i dont believe Nepenthes101 grows sarracenia.

I have heard of people growing in styrofoam insulated pots in really hot environments.

I believe it helps deflect the suns heat from the soil. I have no personal experience growing with insulated pots so I can't really help out any further than that.

sure sure, blame it all on me. I'll take the rap..

I recommended Mike because he seems to really know alot about growing in general in the desert climates. That and I didn't know anyone else right off the top of my head. Hope you find the info your looking for..

I have heard of people growing in styrofoam insulated pots in really hot environments.

I believe it helps deflect the suns heat from the soil. I have no personal experience growing with insulated pots so I can't really help out any further than that.

Not a bad idea, I could either start buying my morning drinks in the 32oz Styrofoam cups from the convenience store or buy a few of the larger coolers from Wal-Mart or something.

I'm in the high desert on the western boundary of the Mojave. My summer temps are probably not as high as yours. Instead of constantly getting in the 110-120 range, mine constantly get in the 100-110 range.

I really don't do anything special. I just make sure everything is always well watered. I primarily top water all my Sarrs with cool water every late afternoon. On the hottest days of summer I top water and fill trays up. Sarrs don't mind full blazing sun. I place flytraps behind the Sarrs so they get less direct sun.

Lastly, I watch out for strong winds and weather channel wind advisories as the winds typically carry a lot of sand and sediment that can accumulate on the plant's growing media and trays. To combat this I put the plants inside on bad days an I frequently rinse out all trays.

Good luck!

I'm in the high desert on the western boundary of the Mojave. My summer temps are probably not as high as yours. Instead of constantly getting in the 110-120 range, mine constantly get in the 100-110 range.

I really don't do anything special. I just make sure everything is always well watered. I primarily top water all my Sarrs with cool water every late afternoon. On the hottest days of summer I top water and fill trays up. Sarrs don't mind full blazing sun. I place flytraps behind the Sarrs so they get less direct sun.

Lastly, I watch out for strong winds and weather channel wind advisories as the winds typically carry a lot of sand and sediment that can accumulate on the plant's growing media and trays. To combat this I put the plants inside on bad days an I frequently rinse out all trays.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips Joossa! I know exactly where you are, I lived off of Division and Horizon for years and I still have family in the Antelope Valley.

Hi in Australia we get peaks of 45 degrees in Sydney which is like 113 fahrenheit for a few weeks peak summer. Sarracenia should be fine as long as you maintain a good water level.

I grow mine in pots and use styrofoam boxes as a tray and maintain a 2 - 6 inch water level during the really hot months as a buffer. (I only check on them every 2 - 3 days)

Dont let them dry out or they are goners in the heat!

Guess I'll go ahead and put a reply here rather than PM. I grow all of my plants in greenhouses so don't have too much experience on this. There is one S. flava that I put in a bog thing outside the greenhouse where I grow my U. gibba.

IMG_0048.JPG

I have not taken a picture of it this year, and I have not trimmed the Sarr. since putting it outside so there are a couple years of old pitchers on it.

P5230293.JPG

It's on the south side of my larger greenhouse, there is some grass that I was sent growing in it and it goes through crazy amounts of water. The water also gets VERY warm and the Sarr. really doesn't seem to care about that too much so I don't think you really need to worry about keeping the roots cool I'd just stick to making sure they stay wet :D That's about all the info I can give you on the subject I'm afraid!

Good luck, and please give reports as you go!
Andrew

Thanks Andy.

Ill keep everyone updated as I move forward.

Ive decided to get some larger tupperware tubs and bury them a bit and line the outside a bit with the crap ton of river rock we have in the backyard so it at least looks ok to the wife. for containers inside the tub Im thinking of using some of the 32oz cups from quiktrip...I pick up a drink every morning on my way to work so I just need to keep and clean them after I am done.

Depending on how much I move outside I may also need to pick up a RO unit...the gallons arent that expensive but I am going to have to go through a lot more of them outside than inside.

Back