What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i was out for awhile today with my fiancee since i was on call for work and was just waiting to be called in, we stopped at the greenhouse supply store up here, and i go in every now and then to see what plants they have...usually good sized S. flava and flytraps, this time they had some huge Darlingtonia, various Sarracenia, and the ever so typical flytraps...
one sarracenia stuck out like a sore thumb to me, and sure enough when i checked the tag, it was an S. oreophila, i was a bit dumb found as to why this particular supplier would be selling this particular species out to this greenhouse (hes a local guy, though i have never met him.)
So rather than risk it dying in the greenhouse from ill care, or ending up in the hands of some child who knows nothing about growing them, i said screw it and spent the 25$ and picked it up...the leaves were covered in the overspray of fertilizer from the plants growing next to it, so when i got home, i washed off as much of it as i could....and if it can be verified as a definite oreo, that would be great...the phyllodia definitely look like oreo phyllodia, and nothing like flava.
So its relaxing with my other S. oreophila, and hopefully will start to grow well, it had no developing pitchers when i got it...
Here it is, and also some pics of my other oreo....
P1010120.jpg

P1010124-1.jpg

P1010116.jpg

P1010118-1.jpg

P1010113-1.jpg

the whole plant just after i got it home...before cleaning off all of the fertilizer over spray...
P1010111-1.jpg

and here is my other oreophila, nowhere near the size it was last year, lol...stupid cappy weather
P1010121-1.jpg

WOW, wish i could find "finds" like that

All the signs point to oreophila, there's something about the neck though that says 'flava' to me though. It's probably one of the oreo variants, but one way to tell oreos is to look at the column. In flavas it starts out narrow at the base where it joins the pitcher and expands towards the lid. In oreos it's the opposite - wide at the base and slightly narrows where it joins the lid. Those phyllodia though are very typical of the species, the reduced lid, the roundness of the mouth... Does it have location data?

Brokken - no it doesnt...i am trying to contact the nursery for that info
it has a similar lid structure to that of the North Carolina group however, that i have seen a couple pics of...
http://www.sarracenia.com/photos/sarracenia/sarraoreop051.jpg

it is not very sturdy compared to the couple of flava they had there, or compared to my other flava...it also has a very different shape in the actual pitcher itself than the flava i have, where the pitcher is a steady taper to the pitcher itself, this makes a huge jump about halfway up the pitcher and only gets larger from there...i can get a few more pics here now before it starts getting too dark

Dang! And I thought getting a s. purpurea at local hardware store was a find. :headwall:

Very nice score, congrats!

hopefully this will help better with the ID...
i would also like to note that its probably been in the greenhouse for awhile, and it considerably shaded where these are at...the few phyllodia on them are rather thin, and etiolated i believe....but still look nothing like the flava phyllodia i see on my plants
P1010129.jpg

P1010144.jpg

P1010143.jpg

P1010140.jpg

P1010137.jpg

P1010136.jpg

P1010132.jpg

P1010133.jpg

P1010131.jpg

P1010130.jpg

P1010135.jpg

P1010134.jpg

I dunno.... I've had my flavas make those phyllodia... all of my oreo's have smaller, curved phyllodia held parallel to the media.

clue, i just edited the post as you posted that,
the phyllodia were likely produced in the area i bought the plant, as they are much thinner than normal.
My oreophila has made phylodia that are completely curved, and others straight as well....

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

an example of the varying phyllodia...
http://www.sarracenia.com/photos/sarracenia/sarraoreop025.jpg

Nice. Can't wait for my flavas to open up.

sss these arent flavas o.o
though they are very closely related...
my flavas are a bit behind schedule, all of the open pitchers are nothing like they were last year

I have a Flava Ornata by Oreaphila Sand Mountain that looks just like that. It has the short curved phyllodia as well as straighter ones and the pitchers look like a very stocky Ornata. Nice find though. Hope it does well for you.

Spoke with the person who is the source of this plant
he says he got about 4 or 5 different clones about 15-20 years ago, and since has been growing them by the seed he is producing from these plants
he asked if it had a number on the tag, and i told him it did not, so he has verified that is is one of his seedgrown plants that he sold to someone who then in turn sold it to the nursery i picked it up from.
i described the plant to him, and he did say it is an oreophila, he has been trying to breed to an oreo with a purple throat with his selected plants over the past several years, this is just a really colorful, really interesting specimen.

Back