Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia oreophila

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia oreophila

i was out for awhile today with my fiancee since i was on call for work and was just waiting to be called in, we stopped at the greenhouse supply store up here, and i go in every now and then to see what plants they have...usually good sized S. flava and flytraps, this time they had some huge Darlingtonia, various Sarracenia, and the ever so typical flytraps...
    one sarracenia stuck out like a sore thumb to me, and sure enough when i checked the tag, it was an S. oreophila, i was a bit dumb found as to why this particular supplier would be selling this particular species out to this greenhouse (hes a local guy, though i have never met him.)
    So rather than risk it dying in the greenhouse from ill care, or ending up in the hands of some child who knows nothing about growing them, i said screw it and spent the 25$ and picked it up...the leaves were covered in the overspray of fertilizer from the plants growing next to it, so when i got home, i washed off as much of it as i could....and if it can be verified as a definite oreo, that would be great...the phyllodia definitely look like oreo phyllodia, and nothing like flava.
    So its relaxing with my other S. oreophila, and hopefully will start to grow well, it had no developing pitchers when i got it...
    Here it is, and also some pics of my other oreo....

the whole plant just after i got it home...before cleaning off all of the fertilizer over spray...

and here is my other oreophila, nowhere near the size it was last year, lol...stupid cappy weather

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW, wish i could find "finds" like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the signs point to oreophila, there's something about the neck though that says 'flava' to me though. It's probably one of the oreo variants, but one way to tell oreos is to look at the column. In flavas it starts out narrow at the base where it joins the pitcher and expands towards the lid. In oreos it's the opposite - wide at the base and slightly narrows where it joins the lid. Those phyllodia though are very typical of the species, the reduced lid, the roundness of the mouth... Does it have location data?
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brokken - no it doesnt...i am trying to contact the nursery for that info
    it has a similar lid structure to that of the North Carolina group however, that i have seen a couple pics of...
    http://www.sarracenia.com/photos/sar...raoreop051.jpg

it is not very sturdy compared to the couple of flava they had there, or compared to my other flava...it also has a very different shape in the actual pitcher itself than the flava i have, where the pitcher is a steady taper to the pitcher itself, this makes a huge jump about halfway up the pitcher and only gets larger from there...i can get a few more pics here now before it starts getting too dark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang! And I thought getting a s. purpurea at local hardware store was a find.

Very nice score, congrats!
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hopefully this will help better with the ID...
    i would also like to note that its probably been in the greenhouse for awhile, and it considerably shaded where these are at...the few phyllodia on them are rather thin, and etiolated i believe....but still look nothing like the flava phyllodia i see on my plants

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno.... I've had my flavas make those phyllodia... all of my oreo's have smaller, curved phyllodia held parallel to the media.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clue, i just edited the post as you posted that,
    the phyllodia were likely produced in the area i bought the plant, as they are much thinner than normal.
    My oreophila has made phylodia that are completely curved, and others straight as well....

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

an example of the varying phyllodia...
    http://www.sarracenia.com/photos/sar...raoreop025.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast