Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia californica varieties

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Thank you all for the help.

I'm still going to say "variety" NAN, just because I don't know what else to call them. Thank you for pointing that out, however.

I think that these plants would grow where I want to put them.

We had this pond for a turtle. The turtle and all the fish were eaten by raccoons. Now, the pond is empty. The good thing is that it only receives morning sun, the earth is cold there, and that the water in the bottom of the pond stays cold even in the middle of summer (now).

This morning I put my hand in the 5 inches or so of water in there. It was probably in low 60s or high 50s. At 2 PM I put my hand in there again. I could not detect much of a difference. It was still very cold.

My thoughts are that we can have a reservoir of water at the bottom, and elevate the media, because the cobra lillies don't need much soil anyway. The water would be cooled by the earth, because it is cold and pretty shady in that corner--I take that back. The pond gets a full half-day of sun in the summer. The water should be wicked up some how...If anybody has ideas of how I should go about making a habitat please let me know. I could go and get a picture of the pond body tomorrow if there is a need.

I almost forgot Here is a picture of the whole setup!

As regarding the "Varieties" of the plants, I have a feeling that the costal form would do better since the place is not full sun (I read that the mountain likes more sun) and we don't have as severe weather as the mountain populations, (or the coastal for that matter) experience. Anyway, I think the coastal would do better. Anyone disagree? I really don't know. I'm just regurgitating what I read!

Here is where I got some Ideas regarding D. Californica.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your pond setup looks very nice, SDCPs.

My plants only receive morning sun, buy I only water once, or at most twice a day. I may put a plant in a sunnier spot this summer, i hopes of producing better colored pitchers. As mentioned by Big Bella, very large clay pots give good results.

Good growing,
    kpg
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not as nice as your Darlingtonia

Do you know if those plants are from the coast or from the mountains?

I'm still unsure of which one will work best, but am leaning toward the coastal "variety".
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-11-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - Genus names are always capitalized

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I don't know the origin of those plants.
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dream is being realized! The pond has moved closer to the rock wall and therefore the light. A reservior has been built in the bottom of the pond to hold the chilled water, water chilled by the earth.

Now the final steps are to add media (I'm not sure what to make it out of) and consider an aquatic pump to make the environment more realistic!

YAY!

I'm doing media research right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing that works for me is one parts peat moss, one parts perlite, and one parts orchid bark it works for me and it leaves good areaition for the roots for when you water them like you know the water constantly flowing threw them in the wild. That is what this soil mix does keeps a good nice airy soil mix just sutible for Darlington. Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eou812 View Post
    The best thing that works for me is one parts peat moss, one parts perlite, and one parts orchid bark it works for me and it leaves good areaition for the roots for when you water them like you know the water constantly flowing threw them in the wild. That is what this soil mix does keeps a good nice airy soil mix just sutible for Darlington. Hope this helps!
    Yes it does! Thank you very much.

I'm going to use 1.3 parts peat, 1 part perlite, 1 part sand...it's what I have.

Thanks!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to add scoria or some other chunky aggregate in there, especially if the media is going to be consistently submerged. Perlite is good but will separate on the top layer in heavy rain; lava rock on top of live Sphagnum strands will help prevent heat stress and get the Sphagnum growing, and it'll keep the surface of your mix looking pretty as a bonus. Do what you need to do, but I strongly suggest a cover crop of Sphagnum especially with your warm weather. What's your area like - predominantly dry or wet? I know there are some pretty distinct microclimates in the SD area. A pond pump is an excellent idea - I'm adding a pump to my outdoor setup this spring as well.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast