Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia californica varieties

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive had the best luck with my Darlingtonia in just good ol' sphagnum and large chunks of perlite....
    but then again im also spoiled with my location, live sphagnum seems to work miracles with these plants, and if its a day above 90 or so degrees (with the coastal origin plants) you might want to consider adding a few chunks of ice to the top of the media or in the water tray itself, im not 100% sure on how you are growing yours...
    If your water is staying chilled enough, dont worry about the ice.
    FWI i grow the mountain location clones, and have grown coastal as well, and not noticed much of a difference between the two other than the mountain being a bit slower as far as growth and coming out of dormancy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, It's done! This is the best place in my yard to grow cobras due to the low temperatures it experiences relative to everywhere else (poor Dewy Pines. Pobrecitos.)

I have planted my first lily, acutally three of the same plant, in the bog. Some generous members are sending me some more, so I'll have a really nice bog, and I'll post pics when I do. Thank you so much for the suggestions everybody!

San Diego doesn't ever get much rain, but this place in my yard is one of the wetter ones.

Anyway, I am almost confident that the cobras will be fine without much care here, but time will tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afternoon all
    Just as a little aside to the thread, I think that some people worry about the root temperature a little too much and go overboard with the ice cube watering methods,
    This plant is grown in a greenhouse (in the UK ) all year round with no special watering techniques, and the temperature in a greenhouse must be high for a large proportion of the summer.
    Link
    http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?...ay&thread=2894

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Booth View Post
    Afternoon all
    Just as a little aside to the thread, I think that some people worry about the root temperature a little too much and go overboard with the ice cube watering methods,
    This plant is grown in a greenhouse (in the UK ) all year round with no special watering techniques, and the temperature in a greenhouse must be high for a large proportion of the summer.
    Link
    http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?...ay&thread=2894
    sorry Steve but he really doesnt even give us an idea of his temperatures and methods, atleast that i saw....
    the ice cub method is only for times where the roots cannot be cooled by other means IMO, especially when its a tray of water in full sun... it depends on the climate as well, i can grow Darlingtonia with no special care, but down south you have to provide special care to keep it alive, as many people on here have learned and have proven....
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-11-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - Genus names are always initial capitalized

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned it before and I'll repeat: Dr. Leo Song (one of the founders of the ICPS) found that the maximum root temperature this species will tolerate is 81F (27C). Exceeding this maximum is fatal to the plants.

I germinated some Darlingtonia seeds over a heating pad set to ~81F - accuracy of the thermostat is probably +/- 10% - and some at room temperature in the same room. Guess what? The seedlings on the heating pad died.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my best success with Darlingtonia californica while I was living in La Mesa, California (a suburb of San Diego). I kept it in a large terra cotta pot, sitting in a deep saucer of water, where I kept its pot sitting in about two inches of water. It sat on top of a short, block wall and in full sun. The media was LFS and perlite. I did not know the provenance of the plant, but it grew quite well in my conditions, producing many offsets by rhizome runners and it bloomed each year.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast