What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia californica varieties

could be that the plant is a fresh division...this is probably why the plant is producing consecutively smaller pitchers....then again---keep the water cool.

Thats just the typical Darlingtonia growth pattern. The first pitcher of the growing season is always the largest, then each gets smaller after that one.

I am glad to hear about the growth pattern. Thank you Sam! The water is ALWAYS cold...the earth cooling and the reservior do a good job. The only heat comes from the sun warming the surface of the moss. But that is gone in the night, of course.

The only other problem is there is no water movement. Is that a big issue?

I'm so envious of your bog!

I'm going to use 1.3 parts peat, 1 part perlite, 1 part sand

I have a setup in full sun with a drip irrigation system powered by a pond pump. Do you think I could use 1 part peat, 1 part Turface, 1 part sand as media in an oversized terracotta pot, top-dressed with a mixture of live and dried sphagnum?

I'm also trying my first Darlingtonia but I'm worried since we had a heat spike last week when temps hit 100F for 2 days and the water hit 80F =/

I'm so envious of your bog!

I have a setup in full sun with a drip irrigation system powered by a pond pump. Do you think I could use 1 part peat, 1 part Turface, 1 part sand as media in an oversized terracotta pot, top-dressed with a mixture of live and dried sphagnum?

I'm also trying my first Darlingtonia but I'm worried since we had a heat spike last week when temps hit 100F for 2 days and the water hit 80F =/

The soil mixture would be fine, but you definately can't grow them in full sun with your temps. I've read they die instantly if their roots (i.e. the water) rise past 79F.

Keep that in mind! Maybe you should just stick to sarracenia...unless you have a cooler spot for them Darlingtonia are nice-looking but seem to be slower growers. I just tried them because I have a special place. If you're determined, try something buried in the earth like I did.

I am curious how your bog is doing now? I just planted a bunch of darlingtonia... any advice you have learned from your experience would be much appreciated!

I am curious how your bog is doing now? I just planted a bunch of darlingtonia... any advice you have learned from your experience would be much appreciated!

Don't over-water, don't under-water. I have lost...well, the under-watered one is regrowing, but since the roof dumps water into the "bog" in the winter, I have had 1 or 2 rot. I either need to install a gutter or keep pumping water out via the tube right after it rains.

Back