Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia californica varieties

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Darlingtonia californica varieties

Hello friends,

I've recently become interested in the Cobra Lilly.

I'm wondering about the two varieties out there. I live in San Diego, on top of a hill with constant breeze. It doesn't get too hot here, the low 80s are the normal highs for summer.

So what variety, the mountain or the coastal would grow best here? We don't have a very cold winter, but we have warm summers.

Maybe we can't grow them at all? What do you think?

Thanks!

EDIT: If you want to just skip to the photo section, click here.
    Last edited by SDCPs; 03-17-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: See text

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to grow either, although I think the common wisdom is that the mountain strains are easier in general. I don't all too much believe there's a huge difference if you're getting a seed-grown plant; I tend to subscribe to the theory that it's tissue-cultured Darlingtonia that are particularly finicky. My plants have endured a tremendous amount of abuse and they're coastal varieties, apparently.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either variety would serve you well in San Diego, since both the coastal and mountain populations see similar temperatures and weather . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically these are neither varieties nor forms as there are no morphological differences between the two populations.

Your daytime air temperatures are not that important as long as you keep the root/soil temperatures below 83F (29C). And a good night time temperature drop would be helpful - it might even be necessary for the long term welfare of the plants.

Peter D'Amato notes this species can be successfully grown on the California coast all the way down to San Diego.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Long Beach / Not to far from Diego
    I've tried growing them a few times with no luck & finally gave up on trying
    Even tried spray painting the pots white
    But hey it could just be me

[/QUOTE]Peter D'Amato notes this species can be successfully grown on the California coast all the way down to San Diego.[/QUOTE]

But he also talks about watering them with refrigerated water or using ice cubes

Good Luck
    Hope you can get some to grow for you
    Wish I could

DC

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow plants from both populations right here at Venice beach. No ice cubes or chilled water are needed. I top water them daily, twice durning hot days. Over sized clay pots and an airy mix of long fiber sphagnum and perlite (30/70) and shade the pots with other pots is all I do. My mature plants have flowered every year for the past three years.

There's no difference in growth that I can see between the two populations.

Los Angeles is closer to Long Beach than Long Beach is to San Diego (23 vs 93 miles).

Again the key to growing this species appears to be keeping the roots cool and nightly temperature drops as well as respecting dormancy. There are a number of ways to achieve this that don't need ice cubes or chilled water. Which method works best depends a great deal on your environment and resources.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 07-01-2010 at 11:42 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I Wasn't Doubting Anyone Or Say It Couldn't Be Done
    Was Just Saying That I Never Had Any Luck With Them

The 1st Time I Know Was My Bad
    I Was Trying To Grow Them With My Sarrs

The 2nd & 3rd Try I Had Them In a Shadier, Cooler Spot In 9in. Pots
    In About a 1 To 1 Mix Of Peat, Pumice & Perlite

The Problem I was Having Was That They Wouldn't Grow Or If They Did They Didn't Get Very Big Before They Dried Out & Died

Could Have Been The Stock I had Too
    All Of Them Were Tiny To Small Plants I Bought Online

If You Have Any Advice / Tips / Tricks You Would Like To Share It Would Be Greatly Appreciated

DC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Technically these are neither varieties nor forms as there are no morphological differences between the two populations.
    True enough, but Barry Rice, in his studies of Sierra Darlingtonia populations still spoke in terms of "variants," particularly in their pitcher appearance or coloration; and it was from that site that he obtained the anthocyanin-free plants, D. californica 'Othello'

Otherwise, I definitely agree that root temperature is far more an issue than that of the air; and I have grown the very same plants in Northern California and the Southland -- and have used exclusively unglazed terracotta pots . . .
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-11-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast