Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarr seedlings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, Joel takes the prize for looking past the seedlings haha Indeed I do have a couple osmocote pellets in there I think another member here can really swear by them as well.

Nothing special other than giving the little guys what they like best! Heat and light. Strat for 4 weeks, sowed on pure LFS with humidity dome until 50% germination. Placed under 6 tier T5s under no less than 80F at night, mid 80s - 90s during the day. 5 months later, VOILA! These guys are the same size, if not bigger, than my 2 year old seedlings (bottom 2 left pots). They're naturally hardened off. I've already spread a few of these around and hearing back from the recipients transplant has been a non issue.
    Last edited by F R e N c H 3 z; 08-21-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can never get germination for any of my Sarr seeds! I stratify, and then put them at my window(where the most light in the house is) VFTs and Droseras work great for me, but never sarrs.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking great Yann! Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had similar results from seeds I sowed in Jan/Feb. I grow mine in a traditional sand/peat mix in clear plastic shoe boxes under florescent lights. Germination is nearly 100%. I've tried other methods in the past, like the pot on the windowsill approach, and had little result. I've got some 3 in. to 4 in. S. rubra alabamensis that I'll be giving away soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gr8oz: What type of lighting do you use for germination? I personally find that using all the heat you can get will stimulate germination. Something very unlikely to be found on a windowsill. Using a humidity dome certainly helps retain that heat and increases the RH which I find to help the seedlings along at first. Do you use sand/peat for germination or as a seedling media?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi French--

I use a simple T-8 setup from my local home improvement store. The bulbs are rated for sunlight and they seem to work great for me. They do generate some heat, and the plants are loving it! Still, I germinate the seeds in clear plastic shoe boxes in a 50:50 mix of sand and peat. I've been getting nearly 100% germination.

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such cuties!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great Yann!

You have a reall green thumb.

I usually put them outside immediately after I'm sure there won't be any more hard frosts (assuming I germinate indoors durring the winter).

They do get a little stunted...and the weaker ones die off...but I'm looking for that to happen - limmited space and all that.

I also don't bother stratifying my sar seeds (or my VFT seeds). I just sow 'em, and let nature sort it out.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast