What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr seedlings

With all the kind inquiries I received from my looking for Sarr seeds thread, I figured I'd at least show what I will be doing/have been doing with the seeds.
These seedlings below are part of a larger batch that I sowed back in Feb of this year. They will be 5 months old next week (excluding the 3 pots on the front far left, round pot, and 3 far back pots).

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3206.JPG_595.jpg

IMG_3208.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

Woah, those are a lot of sarrs!

whats the secret mine are so tiny in comparison, however, it did not help I took them outside earlier then I should have then they went through a cold spell which stunted there growth some.

Do I see fertilizer pellets in there?

Good luck with them! They're looking good so far! :)

Cool little guys!

Oooh, what are you growing there? Everything looks sensational!

VERY cool Yann!
See you are hooked bad!!!
:banana2:
And that's good!

Nice Yann...you'll be getting more soon. :)

Thanks all, Joel takes the prize for looking past the seedlings haha Indeed I do have a couple osmocote pellets in there ;) I think another member here can really swear by them as well.

Nothing special other than giving the little guys what they like best! Heat and light. Strat for 4 weeks, sowed on pure LFS with humidity dome until 50% germination. Placed under 6 tier T5s under no less than 80F at night, mid 80s - 90s during the day. 5 months later, VOILA! These guys are the same size, if not bigger, than my 2 year old seedlings (bottom 2 left pots). They're naturally hardened off. I've already spread a few of these around and hearing back from the recipients transplant has been a non issue.

Last edited:
I can never get germination for any of my Sarr seeds! I stratify, and then put them at my window(where the most light in the house is) VFTs and Droseras work great for me, but never sarrs.

Looking great Yann! Thanks for sharing.

I've had similar results from seeds I sowed in Jan/Feb. I grow mine in a traditional sand/peat mix in clear plastic shoe boxes under florescent lights. Germination is nearly 100%. I've tried other methods in the past, like the pot on the windowsill approach, and had little result. I've got some 3 in. to 4 in. S. rubra alabamensis that I'll be giving away soon.

Gr8oz: What type of lighting do you use for germination? I personally find that using all the heat you can get will stimulate germination. Something very unlikely to be found on a windowsill. Using a humidity dome certainly helps retain that heat and increases the RH which I find to help the seedlings along at first. Do you use sand/peat for germination or as a seedling media?

Hi French--

I use a simple T-8 setup from my local home improvement store. The bulbs are rated for sunlight and they seem to work great for me. They do generate some heat, and the plants are loving it! Still, I germinate the seeds in clear plastic shoe boxes in a 50:50 mix of sand and peat. I've been getting nearly 100% germination.

Such cuties!

Looks great Yann!

You have a reall green thumb.

I usually put them outside immediately after I'm sure there won't be any more hard frosts (assuming I germinate indoors durring the winter).

They do get a little stunted...and the weaker ones die off...but I'm looking for that to happen - limmited space and all that.

I also don't bother stratifying my sar seeds (or my VFT seeds). I just sow 'em, and let nature sort it out.

Thanks for the kind words Dave! Means a lot coming from you :)
Even indoors some die off, it's grow or die for me lol

These guys are really growing well, I've had to pull them back from the lights, they're growing so quickly that the tips are now burning before they get to open. Here's one of the new pitchers since I pulled them back:

IMG_0353.JPG

A few of the pots 2 months later:
IMG_0354.JPG

Wow man that is amazing! How many pellets would you recommend using in my setup that I have germinating?

I'd go easy on them for now, 1 or 2 would be just fine. It's a fine balance, a few too many and you can slowly watch your collection die back on you. More importantly though is giving them all the light and water they'll need, without that the pellets won't be much help.

How close to the seed/seedling would you place them?

Back