What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

noob sarr question

I've got the first of many sarrs in the mini-bog. And just realized tonight that 100% LFS probably isn't the proper substrate. Should I take the top layer of sphagnum off, put a thick layer of peat & perlite down, replant everything, and THEN put the LFS back down as just a top dressing?

100_4664.jpg

Last edited:
That was growing 2:1 peat/perlite.
1:1 peat/perlite seems to be popular though.
I've also heard of people using pure sphag, and using just peat...lol.

It it's doing well, I wouldn't bother it =)

potentially several Sarracenia species could be found growing in or on live sphagnum (purpurea, S. minor, etc). it may add some challenges for some species that might want more sand/peat soil. tough call. I use it as a top dressing for many of my purpurea plants.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Sarracenia.htm

has a nice write up on the soils/media for sarracenia.....

Last edited:
Well, I've got these coming and I wanted to add them to the bog as well.
S. 'Dana's Delight'
S. leucophylla 'Titan'
S. minor 'Okee'
S. minor x readii
S. x readii
S. x readii 'Red'
S. 'Scarlett Belle'

Most of my Sarrs are in LFS mixes... my peat seems to harbor bacteria that make the media smell like rotten eggs.

oh, what have i created? :lol: very nice choices though =)

hm..i use exclusively peat/perlite for my sarrs, vfts, pings, and dews. i only had trouble when i used the same peat from three years ago. i guess you could switch it before the new arrivals come, and have the lfs as a top dressing, i suppose.

clue said:
peat seems to harbor bacteria that make the media smell like rotten eggs.
Oh god. Been there. Mines in pure peat but I let it "dry" a bit before i flood the thing.. My other bog is 100% pure spagh. Preference really depends, however if you want to create a halcyon then try to replicate the plant's natural equilibrium.

Oh god. Been there. Mines in pure peat but I let it "dry" a bit before i flood the thing.. My other bog is 100% pure spagh. Preference really depends, however if you want to create a halcyon then try to replicate the plant's natural equilibrium.

Never heard of a halcyon before, so I looked it up.. How does this apply? :scratch:

A halcyon (pronounced /ˈhælsiən/) is a mythical bird—often identified as a kingfisher—said to breed in a floating nest at sea during the winter solstice, during which time it charms the wind and waves into calm.

There is nothing wrong with using straight LFS. I use it exclusively and have found that the plants grow better, bigger and are just plain happier, if a plant could be happy. Not only that, but LFS is bacteria and fungus free, holds water better and the plants take root alot faster then in peat/perlite. Plus you don't have the splatter when it rains. The only thing you need do is to pre wet it and pack it tight around the rhizome. I have over 150 plants and they all do fine.

But LSM is hard to care for to keep green.

They're fine in pure moss.

Only issue is that they won't be anchored as well, but that should only be temporary as new roots bite into the moss.

Perfectly fine in pure LFS..nothing wrong with it at all..
in fact, I would consider it the ideal mix..

im using pure peat with a top dressing of LFS in my minibogs, but im only using the peat becuase the bogs are big, and peat is a lot cheaper than LFS..for smaller pots I prefer, and use, pure LFS..

But LSM is hard to care for to keep green.

not really..
if you are using good water, it stays green easily..
and it doesnt really need to stay green anyway..dead and brown LFS is still an ideal planting media..
IMO, its actually the best there is..

(and just for clarification, most of the time when people talk about LFS for planting media. they are referring to "dead and brown" LFS! ;)
not green and living LFS..sometimes the brown dried moss you can buy can "come back to life" and start growing..probably from living spores in the dead strands..but thats just a "bonus" and is far from necessary..in fact, sometimes the living moss can be a nusiance, because it can grow upward and cover/smother smaller plants, and it then has to be pruned back..the dead moss is easier to deal with..the only advantage to green living moss is that it looks nice..but its certaintly not necessary, or really any "better" than dead LFS..)

Scot

Back