What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First LG. sarrs, few FAQs..

1. For their size, should I put them in larger pots?
2. Do they need the water trays I have them in?
3. Since we're still up in the air about the beetles, should I move the table back into the full sunlight (by the raspberry bushes in the background)??

Other than that.. tips, obvious faults, etc. etc.??

Mr. Awesome Michael 'insecttrap' sent me:

S. 'Dana's Delight'
S. leucophylla ‘Titan’
S. minor 'Okee Giant'
S. x readii
S. x readii 'Red'
S. x readii Yellow River, FL
S. 'Scarlett Belle'
S. 'Scimitar'

100_4968.jpg

100_4969.jpg

100_4971.jpg

100_4970.jpg

Answers you receive will probably vary ...

1. For their size, should I put them in larger pots?
Yes, sarrs will develop an extensive root system if you give them room.
They should be fine in thier current pots for a season or two though.

2. Do they need the water trays I have them in?
Yes. Some will say water when tray goes dry. But I usually always keep water in mine. About an inch or so. I think some in the warmer states have had issues with bacteria when doing this. Soil should be damp to touch but water should not gather in the impression you have made with your finger in the soil. At least that is the rule of thumb I have read and used.

3. Since we're still up in the air about the beetles, should I move the table back into the full sunlight (by the raspberry bushes in the background)??
Yes, sarrs need at least 8 hours of sun for best results. I try to give mine 10-12 when possible.

Tips, tricks, etc.
Trim off dead or dying pitchers that have become overfilled with bugs to prevent rotting.

Your biggest challenge will probably be dormancy. I suggest you do some research and find what suits you best. Psittacina and leucophylla are less cold resistant in my experience and/or reading.

Yep, good luck with your new plants :)

I moved the table back into the strong sunlight area. It's storming here right now, so that'll add some water to the already filled trays.
One new question though: The plants with the floppy, uninflated traps.. Do I need to give the traps supports until the inflate? Or do the get strong and stand up on their own, then inflate?

massmorels, I was just about to post a question about the flopped over pitchers myself. In fact, I may start a thread with that same question. I have some that look just like the one in your pic, with the pitchers flopped over, and this has never happened to me before and I've been growing these plants for about 11 years! My taller sar pitchers are flopping over and I don't know why.

Some of mine are doing that too. I chalked it up to the excessive heat we have been having since spring. It could also be a lack of light that they form long gangly pitchers, but that is not the case for mine. They have been getting about 10 hours of full sun a day.

thats not the case for mine either, as they are in full sun all day. I tried growing them in pools for the first time ever, which meant they were constantly waterlogged, so I recently removed them from the pools. For 10 years I have only top watered and have never tried the pool method, but I tried it this year because I have so darn many, I thought it would help with my watering bill. But my plants look worse this year than they ever have before. Those floppy pitchers are really worrying me.

Must be the heat. The sad part for me is that my rubra ssp. jonesii made 6 flowers (maybe 7) this spring and all of them wilted away and died. It aborted most of it's pitchers too. I don't recall ever having phyllodia on my jonesii in the past and that is all that it is right now. They are about 2-3 inches long. It looks pretty bad right now. It does look like I got some seed from one of the pods. I'm not sure if they'll germinate though.

I'm going to start a new thread showing pictures of my floppy pitchers in just a minute when I get them loaded.

Back