User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: floppy sar pitchers, phyllodia, what's going on with my plants this summer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    appear to be mostly flava, alata, and luecophylla hybrids, as these are the tallest pitchers - anything that is tall growing is flopping, but my recently acquired tray of leucophylla tarnok from a popular tissue culture company is growing nice and tall, but they are still small seedlings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kulamauiman has a point. My area made some changes to the water about two years ago and my Sarrs, VFTs, Sundews, and Pings started to go down hill about a year or so after using the water. I actually had posted about it on here. I was baffled by all the deaths.

I purchased an RO unit and it has stopped problem. That being said, I still notice that Sarracenia are not growing as well for me as they did in the past. Of course, this is a generalization. Some individual plants continue to grow exceptionally every year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    got a few questions to all seeing this phenomenon. is it S. flava or S. alta and hybrids of them? Possibly S. minor? But mostly S. flava and hybrids.

Seeing similar. Almost thinking virus and/or herbicide drift. Last possibility our county has been adding chloramines to our water and also soda ash. Maybe some goofy changes in the water recently? The soda ash was supposedly added to prevent the lead in people's plumbing from dissolving. However, there is relatively few people with lead pipes so this is being done to everyone for just a few homes.... Might want to check and see if your water department has changed what they are adding to your water....
    For me it is mostly my flavas and leucophyllas. My minors seem largely unaffected. Purps are going strong too. I can't speak for other species because either I don't grow them or haven't had them long enough to compare and contrast past results.

Can't be water for me. I use distilled water. I guess there is a chance quality control isn't doing there job, but I doubt it.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had similar issues at my place but I believe it to be mostly a factor of poor/inconsistent light at the beginning of the season and high temperatures now. But seeing all these other folks reporting problems is making me paranoid!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear some of you are having a bad year for Sarrs too.

My Sarrs are producing okay pitchers in terms of quality, but have been really, really slow to produce pitchers. =(
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow at least I'm not the only one who has had some iffie pitcher production... Though I blame mine on the unusually harsh winter we had in Virginia... (as I try to let dormancy happen as naturally as possible)

My flavas are actually fine though...

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter how "fresh" your peat moss is - if wet peat moss gets cooked it's going to start breaking down. That's why "nuking" it in the microwave oven to sterilize it is not a good idea. If you cook fresh carrots they still get mushy do they not?

Other than that the commies won 3 or 4 years ago and fluoridation of municipal water supplies has become pretty much standard throughout the US. I don't recall Sarracenia as being fluoride sensitive but you never know.

Mach - doesn't Monsanto maintain GMO research areas on Maui? Who knows what they are releasing into your environment.

And that being said we've been having a very mild spring and summer in Los Angeles. My Sarracenia and Dionaea are two months behind where they usually are. I normally put my South American and South African Drosera outdoor the middle/end of April. They're still waiting for the weather to warm up. This morning when I was watering my Sarracenia I had to put a sweater on.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    And that being said we've been having a very mild spring and summer in Los Angeles. My Sarracenia and Dionaea are two months behind where they usually are. I normally put my South American and South African Drosera outdoor the middle/end of April. They're still waiting for the weather to warm up. This morning when I was watering my Sarracenia I had to put a sweater on.
    I wouldn't call our weather mild but we certainly had a harsh and late winter up here. I had Sarracenia blooming up through the beginning of the month, which is late even for me.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast