User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: floppy sar pitchers, phyllodia, what's going on with my plants this summer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me in Nor Cal I believe the weather has played a little in the "odd" growth from my plants. We had early spring record heat for about 2 months. Then a month of record lows and overcast days (some lasting all day). This caused other plants (non-cp) to flower. Now they are in a funny transition point of kicking out of flowering right into summer (no slow transition). I believe this has effected my sarrs too. I too have the odd growth and phyllodia. It's simple answer, they just thought they were going back into dormancy.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    indeed the big M is here doing corn seed production and other odds and ends. they may be related or not. lots of other plantation size agriculture using growth regulators (ethylene for the pineapple people) and hormonal based herbicides like glyphosate at the the sugar plantation

However, we unfortunately have this very odd wind pattern that causes the air to move in an counter clockwise motion so what ever is sprayed in the air gets spread over the entire south west side of the islands. Could smell the smoke from the fire on the west Maui fire here on the east side, even though the trade winds should have blown it all out to sea. I see what appears to be hormonal herbicide damage on many of my dews being grown outside. if the herbicide was volatilized (ester formulation 2,4-D, or garlon for example) it would stay airborne and be hitting all plants a micro quantities. This is something I have contemplated for a long time. The dews kept inside or in the shelter of the greenhouse are not being as affected either, but are generally different species. However, pitcher deformities only on flava, flava hybrids, alata and minor. i did also have seeds on purpurea purpurea mature what appeared to be too fast also. i have wondered if what I am seeing on the deformed sarracenia are related to a viral infection, something like tomato spotted wilt, could have a very wide host range. i am having off season flowers also. But my climate is odd. Still dropping down to 50's overnight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think of the unusually harsh winter being a factor that could be affecting mine...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is really strange that your sarrs are doing this. I wish I had some advice, but I don't. If it's any consolation, all my outside cps (sarrs and vfts) look like crap this year. I'm not getting the floppy growth or excess phyllodia, but in general they are lacking color, robustness, and vigor. Just very weak and pathetic overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    That is really strange that your sarrs are doing this. I wish I had some advice, but I don't. If it's any consolation, all my outside cps (sarrs and vfts) look like crap this year. I'm not getting the floppy growth or excess phyllodia, but in general they are lacking color, robustness, and vigor. Just very weak and pathetic overall.
    Except for a few token plants, I perfectly agree with Nightsky on this. Absolutely colorless S. oreophila "sand mountain" (which is supposed to be heavily veined, lol). Very weak color on plants that are supposed to be quite colorful - like S. flava ornata and atropurpurea.

Not sure if it was a bad dormancy, but the some most vigorous and fast-growing plants I have (S. leucophylla 'Tarnok', S. 'Dana's Delight') have produced nothing but the ugliest phyllodia and lanky pitchers that crumple over themselves when it rains.
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine are of poor coloration as well.

I don't think I can blame it on water quality becuase they get better water than my neps do and my neps are looking fine, no problems at all. Strange!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Neps are way more tolerant of poor water quality than any of the other CPs. I use city water on some of mine and they grow no differently. Our city water is very CP unfriendly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definitely Manny....especially considering neps usually have a more open, airy mix which if you water through the top on a regular basis, usually helps with any mineral build up...now for the people using a basic peat/perlite mix with their neps or any other thick, easily compacted media, it would probably be a different story...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast