User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: floppy sar pitchers, phyllodia, what's going on with my plants this summer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be buying a new batch of peat and perlite and starting from scratch. Something isn't right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    since I've moved those out of the water, already they are looking better. New pitchers that are opening are standing up straight and tall. Like I said, all others that were not in the water were looking fine and normal, so sitting in water was the culprit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    since I've moved those out of the water, already they are looking better. New pitchers that are opening are standing up straight and tall. Like I said, all others that were not in the water were looking fine and normal, so sitting in water was the culprit.
    Try to find some photos of meadowview! All of their pots are sitting in water, and mine have always been sitting in water (very high water too). Perhaps its the type of plastic being used, or some trace chemicals on the plastic? Or perhaps your rain water has recently been bad, but nothing that would be noticed unless your plants are sitting in it (where as normally anything bad might be washed away)... Can you run any tests on the water or did you dump the water already?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird. Virtually everyone has them sitting in water!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, thats why I tried it, but it appears to have been the problem with mine.

I have already dumped the water so can't test it. Wouldn't know how to anyway. If there was something testable, I wonder if it would still be in the soil in the pots? As far as the pots go, typical nursery growers pots, the cheap plastic kind, and I have all my plants in them not just the ones that were floppy.

It was actually Madowview's bogs that inspired me to grow mine like that. I was originally going to dig a bog and make mine just like theirs but ended up going the lazier route of using kiddie pools like Sarracenia Northwest does.

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

Oh, and the fact that they are already looking better once I moved them out of waterlogged conditions definitely says that it was something to do with how I was growing them that was the culprit, but I wish I could figure out what since like you said, other people grow them waterlogged with great results. But if it was an issue like poor lighting or an infestation of some sort, moving them out of the water wouldn't have fixed that problem and I wouldn't see improvement in the plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were you keeping yours permanently waterlogged? I let my outdoor water trays dry out between fillings, then put water in until it's within 1-2" of the top of the media. I also empty the trays after unusually heavy rain, so the water level doesn't get too close to the top of the media. Maybe the tray system would work better if the water level was allowed to fluctuate a lot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah they were constantly waterlogged. I put holes halfway up the sides of the pools but they never drained permanently. My thoughts were that I could add water when it evaporated, but it never got a chance to because we get so much rain. So they were sitting in constant water, almost growing aquatically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some (not a lot) floppies as well and mine sit in about 1-2" of water all the time. It's been very hot here this summer, LOTS of mid to upper 90's and not too cool nights. My baby cobras seem to be doing o.k. so far. My pitchers were slow to start this spring also. They all look good now and everyone has bugs in them! They ate great this year so far!
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast