User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: floppy sar pitchers, phyllodia, what's going on with my plants this summer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

floppy sar pitchers, phyllodia, what's going on with my plants this summer?

My plants have never looked so bad. Usually by this time of year they are gorgeous, lots of pretty colorful pitchers. All my tall sars are flopping over, and there is a lot of phyllodia. They look horrible!

I do have them in full sun all day, and I was keeping them in pools so they were in standing water, but I ust recently removed them from the pools thinking it could be the constantly waterlogged conditions that were adding to the problem. I've been obsessing with cutting off the offending pitchers and phyllodia, and perhaps I should just leave it alone, I don't know if that is helping or hurting.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High water levels + high summer temps = peat moss breakdown

Keep the water levels below 2 inches and top water often.

Check for mealybugs in the roots too.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, I did take them out of the pools thinking that might be a cause. Maybe they will get better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i certainly wouldn't cut anything off that's green. photosynthesis is the main energy source.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having the exact same problem with some of my Sarrs. I've also had seed pods ripen way to quickly (the seed looks good at least). This has never happened. I've noticed a deterioration in my Sarracenia growth and "performance" for the past two or three years. I really don't know what to attribute it to. Higher temps? My water quality is actually better now and I don't keep them too wet. Rot seems to be worse now than in the past.

Sarracenia have always been my favorite CP, but are rapidly becoming an ulcer. They rot way too easily and are the genus MOST susceptible to pests in my experience.
    Last edited by mannyherrera; 07-24-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also going through the same problem....nowhere near as robust as last years growth, lanky, phyllodia, the whole lot....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine cannot be an issue with soil quality/breakdown as most of these were repotted in the fall or are newly acquired plants which equals new pot and peat. My seedlings and tissue culture plants are thriving and doing great, it is my personal collection, large and/or older plants, taller ones, that are having the problems.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got a few questions to all seeing this phenomenon. is it S. flava or S. alta and hybrids of them? Possibly S. minor? But mostly S. flava and hybrids.

Seeing similar. Almost thinking virus and/or herbicide drift. Last possibility our county has been adding chloramines to our water and also soda ash. Maybe some goofy changes in the water recently? The soda ash was supposedly added to prevent the lead in people's plumbing from dissolving. However, there is relatively few people with lead pipes so this is being done to everyone for just a few homes.... Might want to check and see if your water department has changed what they are adding to your water....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast