What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarracenia leaf cuttings

Has anyone tried sarracenia leaf cuttings? I heard Barry Rice had success with purpurea and psittacina. Has anyone tried this interesting technique yet? I want to try it with a judith hindle and dana's delight. If you have tried this please reply. Please give the technique regardless if it worked or not.

I want to try this too, I hear it only works with S. purpurea/psittacina/rosea? To do so you have to take off part of the rhizome too?

Last edited:
Leaf cuttings from Sarrs?
As in, pulling a leaf off, keeping as much of the white rhizome as possible, sticking it in the media, and hoping it takes off?
I've done that. I've had success with Dana's Delight, Hummers Hammerhead, Mitchellania, Purpurea, and...uh...:scratch: I forget what else.

Here's Barry's take on the situation. :)

Yeah! Just like that!!

As in, pulling a leaf off, keeping as much of the white rhizome as possible, sticking it in the media, and hoping it takes off?
I've done that. I've had success with Dana's Delight, Hummers Hammerhead, Mitchellania, Purpurea, and...uh...:scratch: I forget what else.

Any special care?

Nope, lol.
I never did, anyway. It's possible special treatment may increase chances of success, as it doesn't always work (I recall a couple S. Love Bug pullings failed, I'm sure there were others).
But all I ever did, if I had a promising enough pulling, I'd just stick the white part back into the media of the same pot as the parent, and sometimes new growth will begin popping up. Checking for roots is a terrible idea as that can make it or break it, ya know. If it's not dying, then leave it be.
I live in Florida so the pullings were exposed to whatever weather the parent plants were growing in.
I guess you can experiment with babying them as described in the article though =)

Good luck!

Awesome! I will need to try sometime! I thought it was only for those 3 and hybrids of those species.

Anything's worth a shot!
The hummers hammerhead was actually totally lucky. It was a tiny cluster of plants that popped off from the rhizome- there was no white or nada, but I pushed it into the media and next thing I knew, it was the one growing best :lol:

I had heard of this, but I don't know from where. But I was unaware of limitations. Any limitations seem silly, anyway. Sarrs are Sarrs are Sarrs, green leaves and rhizomes.

I failed with S. Flava. They don't work well.

I had success this year with a purpurea pulling.

Here's a thread with some additional information. I shared my failures over there (failures even though many grew extensive root systems - no pitchers). Although I have not tried the process again, if I did, I would do it in the spring. I suspect that seasonality impacted my results... ???

I think I will try it in a few days. I have high hopes. I will make 2 batches, one babied and one in harsh conditions.

Back