Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it too late to plant

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my sarrs have always been allowed to go dormant outside, mulched, netted and no issues. Okay, then what would be the latest for me to get them then..2 months before they start dormancy..that would give me a two week window to buy and plant them
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can pretty much plant them any time like everyone says. The only time you might not want to replant sarrs is a less than a month before dormancy because repotting can sometimes cause new growth in non dormant plants which probably isn't a good idea for a plant that is starting to shut down growth for the winter. Even then I think with proper care the plants would be fine just maybe not as robust the next spring since it would have used energy from the rhizome to put out pitchers in the fall that it didn't get much use of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    For some reason, all but maybe 5 of my plants I brought indoors died. All the plants I mulched survived. I will not take them inside any more in the winter.

Thats because you're not supposed to bring a sar inside, it's got to go dormant!
    I know! I brought them into the unheated garage, (they went through 2 frosts first) they were fine, then they woke up and were doing great, then as soon as they opened their first pitcher, a lot of them simply died.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awgaupp View Post
    No way! You can plant any time of the year! Any size plants are fine!
    not really no..at least, not for everyone.

for the original poster, being in zone 7 on the mid Atlantic coast, then this time of year is probably perfectly fine..however if you live further north, there are in fact certain times of year you wouldnt want to introduce new plants to an outdoor bog, if they are meant to stay outdoors all year..August is still probably ok for just about anyone, because there is still enough time for the plant to prepare for dormancy..but you certainty wouldn't want to plant new plants October - March..and I believe no one should order new Sarrs or VFTs in the middle of winter..

Spring is best.
    Summer is ok.
    Autumn is iffy.
    Winter is not very good.

so no, its not really accurate to say "You can plant any time of the year! Any size plants are fine!"
    thats simply not true..
    it depends how and where the plants were growing before you bought them, and where you live..plants should ideally have as many months as possible to prepare for dormancy..which is why getting new plants in the Spring is best.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    not really no..at least, not for everyone.

for the original poster, being in zone 7 on the mid Atlantic coast, then this time of year is probably perfectly fine..however if you live further north, there are in fact certain times of year you wouldnt want to introduce new plants to an outdoor bog, if they are meant to stay outdoors all year..August is still probably ok for just about anyone, because there is still enough time for the plant to prepare for dormancy..but you certainty wouldn't want to plant new plants October - March..and I believe no one should order new Sarrs or VFTs in the middle of winter..

Spring is best.
    Summer is ok.
    Autumn is iffy.
    Winter is not very good.

so no, its not really accurate to say "You can plant any time of the year! Any size plants are fine!"
    thats simply not true..
    it depends how and where the plants were growing before you bought them, and where you live..plants should ideally have as many months as possible to prepare for dormancy..which is why getting new plants in the Spring is best.

Scot
    Yeah... if it was a true emergency though, and you needed to plant, you probably could.
    You should've seen me over winter at my bog! Hitting the ice with a pole so the plants didnt suffocate.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12