What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarrs think it's early spring...

joossa

Aklys
The off-the-wall weather continues.... It's been so abnormal this year that my oreos and a flava are sending up flowers!!! Today, I cut off several flowers and I can see several buds growing on several growth points. These short-season growers are also now producing pitchers and are no longer producing phyllodia.

Are any of you having a bad or wacky growing season?

A little wacky is the weather where I live. However, all my plants are growing well.

Same here. We had a great May and June, but it all went downhill in July.

I have a flowering oreophila and alata at the moment.

Been a bit warmer, and a bit wetter, than a normal summer, but not out of the range of "typical"..
(it hasnt really been for anyone! ;) people just have short memories when it comes to weather...people say things like "its the hottest its ever been! in my life!" no, its really not. or "have we ever seen this much rain? its so weird and unusual!" no..not really..its perfectly normal)

CPs are growing great!
the only thing I dont like about this summer is my LAWN!
I could mow, literally, every 3 or 4 days..that sucks..
the grass just LOVES the heat, humidity and rain..
and if I wait a whole week the grass is so high the lawnmower bogs down and has a hard time with it.

I really like those August dry/hot spells where the lawn turns crispy and brown and goes dormant! ;)
not going to happen this year. :(

(I will never understand why people actually *water* their lawn!
makes no sense to me..)

Scot

My s. purps flowered on timein the spring, now they have sent up a second set from a totally different growth point. We have had the heaviest snows on record followed by the hottest july on record. Not in my memory, I didn't grow up here.
The rubra v rubra and the jonesii are putting up some great mid summer pitchers though

Yep this year was no exception either. Happened last year (http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119493) and this year I've chopped a purp flower off already. I did have a S. psittacina 'Giant' flower that came on schedule but grew all summer to full size, short of opening, until I said "ok either flower or don't, none of this in between crap" and chopped it off last month. Crazy plants...

Same purp that flowered in July last year, now flowered in August. A purp heterophylla did that too. Hehehehe :3

definitely been warmer here in WI than usual, and a lot wetter, at least compared to the past 5 years. i have only had to water my plants perhaps 5 times this whole summer. and the lake where i work is at its highest level ever. we got 5 inches of rain on Tue. night and another 2-3 forecasted tonight. needless to say, my basement will be wet.

like every year, i always get a few plants that send up flower buds this time of year. this year, it's been 'Imhotep', "medusa", and some unknown hybrid. i always clip em off after a few days. need to prepare for a WI winter!

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

I really like those August dry/hot spells where the lawn turns crispy and brown and goes dormant! ;)
not going to happen this year. :(

(I will never understand why people actually *water* their lawn!
makes no sense to me..)

Scot

it's the same here, the past five years, i think i've mowed only once in august. not this year! i live in an area of mostly retired people that have nothing better to do than water, fertilize and mow their lawns every other day. so i'm surrounded by lush, green lawns. whereas mine, at least normally, is pretty much brown and dormant this time of year. you can even see it on google earth, all this green with a brown square in the middle.

Nothing different this year, except there's been enough rain to keep minibog watering to a minimum. Ironicallly, this is the first year I've had something set up for rainwater so that I could 'do' a drought without rationing water...

2 of my flava have decided to start sending up flowers. Is it best to cut them off or let them bloom though I know you cant get seeds. Also weather hear in Iowa has been brutal on the plants. Have a storm about every night that results in 1-2 inches of rain or more in a short time as well as high winds. Plant just dont stand a chance. I built a rain barrel this year also but have never had to use.

Thanks

Chad

Back