Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ceph help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ceph help

i recently got a ceph hummers giant and i'm worried with its rapid decline of my plant. My conditions are it's under lights for 16 hours a day, Humidity 80 percent, water about every two to three days but i might have let it get a little dry one time so now i have a small tray under it and will let the water evaporate before i add more, and soil no idea just got it but the guy seemed very successful in growing them so i'm sure its good. here are some pics the grow points appear fine but this is the first ceph ive had so....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too much watering in my opinion. i water my ceph once every month. then again, i also grow my ceph in highland connections and the humidifier waters it.

and keep the crown (growth point stem) dry as possible.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it dried totally at this small stage it may have damaged it beyond saving , it looks very wet at the top , if you are getting those pitchers wet when your watering, stop that immediately, i do top water mine but the pitchers dry throughly, yours seem to be rotting a bit, but its very hard to tell , ease back a little on the water, but make sure not to let it dry out again, there may be a little growth at the cented that has some promise, not sure it needs that high of humidity, 50 to 60 percent may be better ,and back to the water, don't water close to the end of the light cycle, give the plant several hours to dry before lights out .
    What kind of lights are you using, watts / lumens, kind of fixture, how close to the plant .
    Give us a little more info on your growing conditions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over-watering is the most common culprit with new growers; and I would back away from that a bit -- and I would suggest lightly watering around the plant only when the soil appears dry. Be assured that the peat - sand - sphagnum mixes retain a surprising amount of water below the surface; and it would take weeks to thoroughly dry out at the root level . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the HG from ebay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my ceph a few months ago from a retailer out west. Great people, really, but they stuff their pots to the brim with their planting medium, making over-head watering difficult. What i did was I dug a little moat around the plant, so it is high above it on a little island. Every monday morning i pour DI water into this moat, filling it three times. I also mist it incidentally when I go to mist my Heli and highland nepenthes.

Bottom line- I agree, over watering may be to blame.

It may be prudent to remove one of the winter leaves in an attempt to propagate. The plant may die, but its genetic code can live on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it definitely does appear to be over-watered...i water my cephs only once or twice a week, i use a top dressing of LFS (still below the crown of the plant) as an idea as to when to water it...once the LFS starts to get dry, i wait a day and water em...ive lost several cephs to over watering and probably various other problems. for once mine is growing happily and well....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will never plant another ceph without using trichoderma in combination. Do some research on it and give Crystal a shout, she can help.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast