What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli Media ??

I've been growing my heterodoxa x minor in 100% live LFS.. It seems to be growing awefully slow. Should I change what I've got it growing in? I see a lot of pics with people growing thiers in peat/perlite mixes. Which is best for something teeny tiny like what I've got?

hey mass, well helis typically grow slow no matter what. i like to use a 50/50 LFS and perlite mix. If you recently got it and potted it up, i would wait a little because they dont like to have to much root disturbance. just my opinion.

i would also vouch for 50 LFS, 50 Perlite/Pumice/Lava Rock--your choice.
and helis by nature are a PITA when it comes to growth. usually though it comes all at once, then does nothing, then comes back all at once, at least from my experience.

growth definetly comes in spurts.

And high humidity right? Pretty much grow em' like a hamata? This is my first, so I really want to keep it around.
And whats PITA? :scratch:

high humidity. and high high light.

pita= pain in the (you fill in the blank)

@mm: it's both HL conditions AND high high light.

It's the worst of all worlds mass: windy cold, nasty damp and really really bright.

I'll make the proper corrections. I've got some lights going in the 3 seasons room for my dews. It's in the 70*s during the day and low 60*s at night. So it should do good out there under the lights I think.

Hang in there. All my helis are excruciatingly slow growing and touchy. I've found hybrids somewhat more vigorous, but not by much. But I'm no expert I've only grown them for two years which isn't much when dealing with helis.

Definitely keep them humid. I swear they are hyper-sensitive to it and are far too eager to dessicate.

I have found that growth with Heliamphora seems species-specific; and some grow like weeds, while others remain small with juvenile leaves for years.

Your compost is absolutely fine; and I have always preferred live sphagnum and pumice over peat or cedar-based mixes (a personal preference more than anything else). The roots remain consistently moist and cool -- an important aspect of successfully growing them . . .

+1 on David's comments,

Ive got plants that went from the size of a dime to 12" and flowering in a couple years.... and others that went form the size of a dime, to well ummmm a slightly larger dime in the same time period LOL

even different clones of the same species can vary dramatically.

Av

In my conditions live or dried Sphagnum moss is a good growing medium for Heliamphora. One of mine definately prefers it to peat/perlite, in fact I nearly lost the plant when I move it to peat/perlite and it only recovered when moved back into Sphagnum moss. I think the selection of growing medium has a lot to do with conditions. Where I live the weather is usually mild or cold, it never get particularly hot, and I think a peat/perlite mix stays wet for too long, causing anaerobic conditions and leading to rot. On the plus side, we get a good nightime temperature drop and I'm able to grow some Heliamphora outside of a terrarium, in fact my largest plant is on my kitchen widowsill.

Back