User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Does anyone root fertilise their Heliamphora?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to the fertiliser question, does anyone flush the pots a few days after applying? I have read elsewhere where growers water CP pots with fertiliser solution but then thoroughly flush them next day or within a few days with water. I wouldn't have thought that this would give the plant sufficient time to absorb nutrients. Any comments?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    Back to the fertiliser question, does anyone flush the pots a few days after applying? I have read elsewhere where growers water CP pots with fertiliser solution but then thoroughly flush them next day or within a few days with water. I wouldn't have thought that this would give the plant sufficient time to absorb nutrients. Any comments?
    I personally don't find flushing of the pots necessary, nor know anyone who practices that, since the compost -- live sphagnum and pumice or, rarely, cedar-based mixes -- drains so readily; besides, the fertilizer concentration seldom exceeds one quarter strength . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people flush due to fear of mineral salts accumulation from the fertiliser. I question whether flushing after one day for instance is sufficient time for the plant to take up any nutrients.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people flush due to fear of mineral salts accumulation from the fertiliser. I question whether flushing after one day for instance is sufficient time for the plant to take up any nutrients.
    Since I use primarily live sphagnum as my media and liberally apply the fertilizer, I would think that the moss would be an effective indicator of excess minerals or potential damage; but I have not any adverse effect on it . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BigBella, how do you water your Heliamphora?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BigBella, how do you water your Heliamphora?
    Those larger plants outside are in trays with about 3 cm of water -- or more when I am away; and the cuttings, divisions, new arrivals, and juveniles are under lights in domed germination trays, also within shallow water.

The compost is so well-drained that I don't worry about them sitting in water; and I have also begun growing some in orchid net pots . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Bill, back when i had my large clumps of cephs I would place the ceph pot in a larger pan and fill the outer pan with the solution until the level was slightly less then the surface level of the cephs. Id let it sit like this for 10-15 mins then remove and let the excess drain. It seemed to work very well for me. I was able to get clumps of a 100 or more pitchers without issue.

Why not just use 1/4tsp and a quart of water?... or the granular if you prefer. I tend to use the granular for potting and transplanting. But it works well in both applicaitons, just a little funky looking (snot like)

Av
    Thanks a lot for mixing tip. I followed your 1/4tsp to a quart recipe in an outer pan. Then dumped my net pot to be leveled with the quart and it's soaking for 10 minutes as I write this. Thanks man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    make shore to us a uric acid free fret

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234