What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr seedlings in terrarium?

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
I'm considering getting some mixed varieties but am curious as to whether they could overwinter in a terrarium environment. I was initially reading the ICPS page which mentioned that seedlings can be grown under lights without dormancy with the intent of moving them outside and into their regular cycle after 2-3 years.

They're about 1-3" tall and in their first year of growth which I assume means the seeds were sown earlier this year. I'm not aware of specific growth rates for Sarrs so I will have to double check with the seller however because I also assume that if they already went through dormancy last winter that it would be unwise to skip it then this year, no?

I would be all for growing outside but I think the weather here has already turned too cool for them to be outside.

If you were planning on growing from seed a terrarium would work for quite some time but I would just be aware of air circulation, lighting (with possibility of overheating) as well as stagnant water.
However since you mentioned that they're already 1-3" tall I would advise against skipping dormancy if this were to be their second one unless you plan to just do a fridge or outdoors dormancy. The growing season really only has a month and a half at best left so by the time your seedlings adjust they would ready to go dormant. I'd recommend waiting until the seller has them into dormancy and then purchasing them, just to simplify things on your end.

I've taken seedlings that went through one dormancy and put them under forced growth conditions (24 hour lighting, heat pad) with no problem. They are at flowering size now (3.5 years old) and should flower next year.

I wouldn't bother with a tank unless that's all you have to support the lights. Species like S. flava, S. leucophylla or S. alata can grow very tall in a short period of time and you can't adjust the height of the tank.

See Bugweed's forced growth method:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107339

Nice, good to know NaN. Thanks for taking the plunge on behalf of those of us that aren't so bold. :D
~Joe

PS - Why isn't that thread sticky'd? Er, wait, it is...

taking the plunge on behalf of those of us that aren't so bold.

Indeed more testicular fortitude than I :grin:

Any other notes as to how they took to the change or just 'it can be done'?

Thanks for the link Nan!

I was planning on transitioning some of my plants to outdoor growing, hopefully, next year. Would they be able to do that? If that is the case then would they be fine in the terrarium for a few months? If not I can be creative with lighting so they get more head space.

Also, do they need the 24/7 lighting or does that just increase grow rate? I'd have the lights on 14 hours/day.

Good news (I think)...the seller said they were only sown last spring and have been grown under lights.

The 24/7 lighting and soil heating will stimulate growth. Heating may be a more contributing factor then the lighting. If I had the space I would experiment a little. Add mild fertilization or regular feeding and the plants will really grow quickly.

So is the extra lighting a boost or essential when skipping dormancy? Not sure it is something I can fulfill.

And how hot are we talking? Usually with the lighting my tanks are at 80F and then it dips a bit at night.

Bump. Should I go through with the purchase or would my conditions not suit the seedlings?

I would say go for it.
However, I think you should either force growth, or ensure they get dormancy- one or the other.

From what I've read about dormancy in temperate woody species (trees and shrubs) is that it is the change in photoperiod (day/night length) that signals plants to prepare for dormancy or enter a semi-dormant state. It is the actual drop in average temperature that cause them to go dormant. Some species like sugar maples need an absolute minimum temperature to be reached or they will not come out of dormancy even when the temperatures rise.

How much this is applicable to Sarracenia is anybody's guess.

If you keep your photoperiod and average temperatures fairly constant then your plants will probably not go dormant. Be aware that ambient natural lighting (i.e. through windows) may provide enough clues for the plants to have respond to seasonal changes. My indoor plants flower and have other growth patterns on a regular/seasonal basis even though I never vary my artificial photoperiod (16 hours on).

It seems to me if you are going to grow them indoors you may as well take advantage of any growth facilitation bonus you can get.

Yeah, that makes sense.

If push comes to shove and they do want to go into dormancy, I will prepare them for that...I just can't do 24/7 lighting since it would hurt the other plants.

Back