What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I really hate squirrels

I really hate squirrels. I had a pot full of leah wilkerson x adrian slack seedlings that were growing really well as well as the seeds I got from adnedarn and pyro that were also doing well until I got home from work today to see all of them dug up and walnuts burried in the soil. I was able to save a few but overall very disappointed as more then 3/4 were dryed up. The squirrels however left rest of the pots alone but who knows for how long.

Ouch! Sorry to hear it. Yeah, earlier in the season they cost me maybe 1/3 of my dews. Total PITAS.

Thats what they make BB guns for. Had the same problem. Caught the sucker in the act too. I then sent him on his way to squirrel heaven. No more problem.

BB guns are useless in the long term..
sure, you remove one squirrel..but there are endless more ready to take his place..

there is only one long-term permanent fix:

CP2008-018.jpg

CP2008-064.jpg

or a greenhouse I suppose..
*something* has to prevent the squirrels from reaching the moss..

I have founf there are two main problem times..early spring, and early fall.

Early spring = robins building nests..they love to steal the LFS for nesting material.
Fall = squirrels burying winter supplies.

I took one of the green chicken wire covers off of one of my minibogs about June, after bird nesting season, as an experiment..
the bog remained totally untouched until this week!
when squirrels started digging in it..so summer seems fairly safe..

but still, I plan to keep my plants covered with the chicken wire as a matter of course from now on..
its not pretty, but eventually the plants just grow up through it and you barely notice it..
IMO it worth it to keep critters from digging in the pots..

Scot

i had the same problem except it was the damn DOG! she would dig up the pots, or just pull out the plants and chew them. or drag the entire pot into the yard, spilling everything out, and chew on the pot. OMG i had a bucket FULL of SAND that she dragged into the yard! i covered my entire porch with chicken wire.. then she would jump and play in the above ground "pond" i made for my bladderworts. she ruined that....

I wish i could shoot the dog with a bb gun

Squirrels don't bother my plants.....but that may have something to do with the fact that I eat them.....it's pretty hard to mess with my plants when your wrapped up in butcher paper and stuffed in a freezer. ;)

Last edited:
i had the same problem except it was the damn DOG! she would dig up the pots, or just pull out the plants and chew them. or drag the entire pot into the yard, spilling everything out, and chew on the pot. OMG i had a bucket FULL of SAND that she dragged into the yard! i covered my entire porch with chicken wire.. then she would jump and play in the above ground "pond" i made for my bladderworts. she ruined that....

I wish i could shoot the dog with a bb gun

:censor::cry:

It's not foolproof, but you can sprinkle Cayenne pepper on and around the plants. One year I went to an Indian grocery store and bought a 1 pound bag of the hottest stuff they make. It worked pretty well. Where it got on the plants they turned an ugly blackish color like mold, but it didn't kill any of them.

As a precaution, I took some clear plastic, (like couch covering plastic) and stapled it to a homemade wooden frame. There are small holes for air circulation, and I raise it for a few hours every day so it doesn't get all nasty in the bog. It isn't too terribly attractive, but so far it's kept the squirrels out.
AND the gypsy moth caterpillars, which have been dropping out of a tree in our yard like crazy.

Perfect squirrel repellent. Take them things to WAR!!!! They've already broken the rules of engagement by attacking you first.
I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope the leftover ones make a full recovery for you. What are you using to help them make a stronger recovery? May I recommend if you dont already use it is Superthrive. Has always helped my plants recover from shock, etc....

a-126.jpg

My Opinion on them no good pesky squirrels, LOL.

6637_big.jpg

Last edited:
It's not foolproof, but you can sprinkle Cayenne pepper on and around the plants. One year I went to an Indian grocery store and bought a 1 pound bag of the hottest stuff they make. It worked pretty well. Where it got on the plants they turned an ugly blackish color like mold, but it didn't kill any of them.

Sounds like good squirrel seasoning.....:drool:

the ones I were able to save were the larger one so hopefully they will go through dormancy and start producing good pitchers next season. Anyways thanks for all the tricks to try and keep them at bay. I have not had any problems since.

Back