User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 26

Thread: Experimental growing Cephalotus in beach dune sand

  1. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great mobile, how often are you watering?

  2. #18
    RL7836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Insane coloration - especially for pubescent pitchers. The dark colors on my Cephalotus 'Czech Giant' did not show up until the adult pitchers....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

    *** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

  3. #19
    mobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Posts
    1,070
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    Looks great mobile, how often are you watering?
    It sits in a pot saucer, which I fill with RO/rainwater and allow to empty before re-watering. I am keen on the saucer watering method for Cephalotus if used in conjunction with a well drained soil mix.

  4. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    It sits in a pot saucer, which I fill with RO/rainwater and allow to empty before re-watering. I am keen on the saucer watering method for Cephalotus if used in conjunction with a well drained soil mix.

    Wow very impressing, I never expected such a wicking effect with pure sand. Seems like there's even enough moisture to sustain algae on the surface! When it's all said and done I'd love to see the root structure

  5. #21
    mobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Posts
    1,070
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    Wow very impressing, I never expected such a wicking effect with pure sand. Seems like there's even enough moisture to sustain algae on the surface! When it's all said and done I'd love to see the root structure
    It's not pure sand...
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    The pot is filled with a 50/50 mix of peat and dune sand, with a top 1cm layer of just dune sand. The seedling was taken from its existing pot with a plug of moss peat and planted into the sand, with the lower part of the plug coming into contact with the peat/sand mix below.
    and I'm not sure that the green is algae...
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    I've been told that the green growth is most likely Cyanophyta.

  6. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh thanks for the clarification, I should have read the text. I was going strictly by the picture.! A strictly sand media experiment may be in order

  7. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saginaw, TX USA
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    Colouration is getting better. I don't know if this is due to the dune sand or the lighting, but another plant that I have under similar lighting doesn't show such colouration.
    Are the two light setup the same color temp?

    Is one of the lights much older than the other?

    This just adds to me thinking that light levels are not the driving factor in Ceph color, more of a trigger when other factors are met.

  8. #24
    mobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Posts
    1,070
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    Ahh thanks for the clarification, I should have read the text. I was going strictly by the picture.! A strictly sand media experiment may be in order
    I have some spare seedlings which I might experiment with in the new year.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Are the two light setup the same color temp?

    Is one of the lights much older than the other?

    This just adds to me thinking that light levels are not the driving factor in Ceph color, more of a trigger when other factors are met.
    The experiment is not controlled enough to draw any conclusions. I have been swapping lights around between warm/daylight LEDs and CFL. This plant is currently under a white LED and has developed the colouration since being placed under it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cephalotus growing on some Driftwood
    By RSS in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-31-2011, 08:57 AM
  2. Saugatuck Dune Rides Gift Certificate Package winner droseraguy $6
    By GP_Princess in forum 2008 NASC Benefit Auction
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 05:38 PM
  3. questions on growing Cephalotus
    By norns in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 10:15 AM
  4. Cephalotus not growing
    By carnivorkid in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 03:51 PM
  5. Cephalotus growing down
    By herenorthere in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 07:39 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •