What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental growing Cephalotus in beach dune sand

As I'm sure many seasoned Cephalotus growers will agree, this species is not very particular on what medium it grows in. There are lots of different mixes around, containing lots of different ingredients and ratios, such as peat, sand, perlite, leaf mould, live moss, dried moss, charcoal etc etc. I have tried many mixes and to be honest I cannot differentiate any discernible differences in growth rate or colouration. If you look at pictures of this species growing in habitat you will find it in anything between heavy humus soil to white sand. The species grows in coastal areas and one medium ingredient I have seen mentioned a few times is beach sand but I can't find any articles about anyone actually growing a plant using this, though there is undoubtedly someone using it as it is mentioned HERE. So, to satisfy my own curiosity I have decided to give it a try. I live next to the sea, so I took a walk to the local sand dunes and collected a small amount of sand from the banks where tall grasses (I think they are grasses?) grow. The tide does not reach this height, though undoubtedly it receives spray from the sea. I noticed that there was a line which below grew no grasses, so I took from above there, in amongst the grasses. I have a few 'expendible' seedling from last year so used one of these for this experiment. I will periodically update this post with the progress. The pot is filled with a 50/50 mix of peat and dune sand, with a top 1cm layer of just dune sand. The seedling was taken from its existing pot with a plug of moss peat and planted into the sand, with the lower part of the plug coming into contact with the peat/sand mix below.

pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

Neat, I can't wait to see updates!

While I was doing my research for the little Ceph wall, I ended up with the same information. So many different mediums have been tried with ok-good results IF the watering was right for the medium used. I have divisions from the same Ceph growing in the same conditions and one is just doing better than the other. Gotta love this plant ;) Maybe my 50/50 mix was 40/60 in one of the pots! Either way I blame my watering.

I see no reason this would not work out well. The Ceph's on the top parts of the hills were growing with the grassy plants, I've since forgotten there name. If you look into some of the habitat photo there are few species of plants growing in that area. Mostly the grassy stuff.

Should be interesting to follow.

I to don't think you ought to have any issues growing it in that media. I'm not quite sure where all the myths come from about this plant being finicky. I've grown a few in intermediate conditions and others in clear LL conditions, blasting them with light and watering them when I remembered to. Can't wait to see some pictures in 6-12 months. Do you plan on root feeding?

This thread may be of some relevance.

This thread may be of some relevance.

That is the white sand that I refer to. Thank you for the link.

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

Do you plan on root feeding?
I'm undecided whether I will root feed this one or not. I do root feed my other Cephalotus from time to time.

Took a sample 5ml sand and added 50ml of deionised water. After 13 hours the water conductivity was 0.05EC. The pH of the water after two days is 7. This stuff is better than the washed horticultural sand I buy :D

Phill Mann once showed me photo's of a Cephalotus growing and thriving right smack in the middle of a cow pie in Australia, so I think the species is ammenable to many substrates. One of the most interesting concepts regarding the culture of this genus came from an Australian grower that found a way to encourage a mycorhizal association that allowed him to produce a multiheaded flowering plant within a season from a single cutting taken at the start of the season using pine sawdust for a medium. Experimentation is at the heart of advancing growing techniques. Growers should never assume any cultivation advice is Gospel and always seek to go where no one has gone before. Keep us posted as to how your experiment progresses!

Experimentation is at the heart of advancing growing techniques. Growers should never assume any cultivation advice is Gospel and always seek to go where no one has gone before.

Very well said.

I still remember back when it was considered taboo to grow a VFT outdoors!
It needs dormancy!.... well duh!

Growing "rules" are guidelines, not unbreakable laws! And while it is nice to get info here on the net, experience is still the best teacher.
People forget that what works for one person may not work for someone else. We all live in different locations, different environments with different conditions. Using different media may mean different watering habits or exposure to different amounts of heat or light. There is no "one right way" to do things! And indeed, from growing other plants for a lifetime I have learned long ago, plants are a lot more enduring and hardy than most people realize.
We won't know what they can endure, until we try it. But again, keep in mind there are MANY variables involved in any situation when growing plants.
And there are many ways to grow them, not just one!

Good luck!

It's still alive and the sand is now turning a green colour...

pic3_30.09.2010.JPG

One of the most interesting concepts regarding the culture of this genus came from an Australian grower that found a way to encourage a mycorhizal association that allowed him to produce a multiheaded flowering plant within a season from a single cutting taken at the start of the season using pine sawdust for a medium.
This sounds interesting... are there any pictures of it? Wood shavings/sawdust are one of the media used in hydroponics. It was/is? a popular hydroponic media on the Pacific Northwest of the US and the West coast of Canada. I might give this a go myself... I have some wood shavings pet bedding somewhere.

Still alive... and getting nice colouration :)

SS852313.JPG

Colouration is getting better. I don't know if this is due to the dune sand or the lighting, but another plant that I have under similar lighting doesn't show such colouration.

SS852379.JPG

SS852382.JPG

Nice looking plant.

Looks like quite a bit of algae growing up from the sand.

Cyanophyta - very interesting, I understand they are common here in the desert, too. I hope they are only a positive environmental influence for your Cephalotus.

Wow! Insane coloration - especially for pubescent pitchers. The dark colors on my Cephalotus 'Czech Giant' did not show up until the adult pitchers....:hail:

Looks great mobile, how often are you watering?
It sits in a pot saucer, which I fill with RO/rainwater and allow to empty before re-watering. I am keen on the saucer watering method for Cephalotus if used in conjunction with a well drained soil mix.

It sits in a pot saucer, which I fill with RO/rainwater and allow to empty before re-watering. I am keen on the saucer watering method for Cephalotus if used in conjunction with a well drained soil mix.

Wow very impressing, I never expected such a wicking effect with pure sand. Seems like there's even enough moisture to sustain algae on the surface! When it's all said and done I'd love to see the root structure :)

Back