Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cephalotus 'Hummers Giant' suspicion ...

San Diego, USA
    1 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love the color on that 'typical' better than the colors on the Hummer's Giant, SirKristoff. Unfortunately, my typical keeps dying back and never thrives to the point of producing mature pitchers while the Hummer's Giant keeps popping out more and more huge pitchers.

New Jersey, USA
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    We may have to bug John Hummer, himself!
    About what?

While John makes no mention of the wide midrib in his cultivar description, you'll notice the characteristic midribs in his photo at the bottom. (Barry probably didn't help this situation with his added comment).

Ever since Forbes pointed out the extremely wide midrib on a plant I sent him many years ago, I have looked for it on plants labeled as HG's. As Bella (& I) noted, it is not a reliable indicator especially with young plants and those with only a few pitchers. However, I have yet to see a healthy, adult plant with a large number of pitchers from a reliable source (ie - traceable to John) that doesn't exhibit a noticeably wide midrib on at least a few of the pitchers. I grow them in a wide variety of conditions (outside for summer, windowsill, terrarium, etc) and have this characteristic on all adult plants with many pitchers (& most plants with only a few pitchers).

With most plants, the differences are quite obvious. The pictures shown over in this thread show pitchers that are shaped like a typical ceph. This is a healthy plant with more than 10 adult pitchers and all show a very narrow midrib.

In the photo at the start of this thread, the majority of the pitchers show the wide midrib without even requiring close examination - but there also a few with the more narrow version (one near 12 o'clock and one around 9 - for example). Sometimes, the midribs are so wide as to almost be amazing - like on this developing green pitcher @ 6 o'clock:

However, when you look at the pitchers on either side of this, neither is completely definitive.

I understand that many people paid a significant premium for their HG plants and really don't want to accept that they may have a typical. I'm simply sharing my experiences & my observations in the hope that it might save some others a few dollars.
    All the best,
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12