User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus 'Hummers Giant' suspicion ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus 'Hummers Giant' suspicion ...

I suspect that a significant percentage of the 'Hummer's Giant' Cephs being grown are typicals. Why?

1 - similar to non-mutation VFTs, there is no way to differentiate one Cephalotus clone from another with absolute certainty
    2 - HG Cephs command a higher premium than typicals (sometimes amazingly so ...)
    3 - there are many unscrupulous individuals
    4 - many of the pics I see of HG Cephs do not have the characteristic wide 'midrib'. As stated in reason #1, there is no absolute way to distinguish one Ceph clone from another. However, close to 100% of the adult HG Cephs* which I have grown and pics of verified HG Cephs (that I've seen) grown by others have exhibited this trait (not necessarily all pitchers). BigBella's HG Ceph in this thread clearly demonstrates the wide midrib - as do most of the plants pictured in my growlist. Here's a pic of two of my 'outside' plants this spring exhibiting various degrees of the wide midrib (my apologies for the less-than-sanitized conditions):

I'm sharing my suspicion because I'd like to hear if other HG growers have a different viewpoint and also to warn potential purchasers to only procure HG Cephs from trusted / reputable suppliers** if they truly want the real deal ...

* - my original HG clone was purchased from Charles Brewer and I was with Charles when he purchased the clone from John Hummer at the ICPS Conference held in Atlanta (ABG).
    ** - the term 'trusted supplier' (or reputable) could probably merit it's own thread. Some growers are content to believe the assertions of semi-anonymous eBay sellers. Some are not ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my plants were younger, they did not always display that prominent midrib and "chunkier" appearance; and even when mature, didn't always display it. I currently have some small divisions from my mature plants and they appear typical for the time being . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does this plant look like:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some of the midribs of my Ceph's

This is the Hummer I received from Ron for reference.
    Ceph. 'Hummer's Giant'

This Hummer is from an E-bay Seller, one of the better ones in my opinion.

Here you can see the thin ribs and the new larger growths starting the wider ribs.

This is a typical that is oddly enough growing a wide midrib, the other divisions of this one are no where near that full. This is also the one growing on the "wall" found here.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=122053

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that.. first.. pic.. is.. AHHHH MAZE ING!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct. In fact, I would be even more surprised if you were not correct. I'll keep an eye on my HG clone. I trust the person I got mine from. But I can't say I trust who he got it from since I don't know.

IMHO, I guess that is the problem with trying to label something as "special" when it displays only a variable difference from others in certain set of unknown conditions. With ambiguity comes much opportunity for abuse. This is especially true when thrown into a market full of trusting, but possibly under educated people on the topic. I mean that with the highest of regard towards my fellow growers and would include myself in this category of trusting but under educated.
    Last edited by dashman; 12-01-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: my grammar sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by massmorels View Post
    that.. first.. pic.. is.. AHHHH MAZE ING!
    I agree. That thing looks like it could eat lizards.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    while i completely agree that a good chunk of the "hummers giant" out there, are likely not the real deal, it is like you said, impossible to tell really for the most part, as even the midrib varies from pitcher to pitcher on my plant for example, and it weighs heavily on conditions...
    my hummers giant isnt consistant with producing a wide midrib, though it most definitely does produce them
    here is a typical and hummer next to eachother for comparisons sake...sorry they arent the best photos, just saw this thread and thought i would throw in my 2cents
    first, one of my hummer's

and here is a typical

side by side now, typical right, hummer left...
    not the size difference though, the typical is potted in a 4" round pot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast