What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DroseraBug

Grow Pitcher Plants!
French3z already got me exited about next spring. Thought I would share my ongoing attempts at rapid growth from seed. These are multiple crosses I'm growing via terrarrium and T5s. I've had some luck with this process for a few years now. Some are my crosses and some were traded, and from the NASC auction. FredP, I'm not overly fertilizing yours don't worry. There just starting to pick up different shapes and colors although photos don't do them justice. These will be transported to the bogs in spring and some given to NASC and hopefully auctioned off. I am using fertilizer experimentation (after researching it thoroughly) and for several years so far so good knock on wood. The pot with the shortest plants was sowed at the same time that the adjacent pots were but recieve no fertilizer. I want to set up a more stringent experimental design soon.

SeedlingsOct2010004.jpg

SeedlingsOct2010002.jpg

S. x formosa cross
SeedlingsOct2010001.jpg

S. x mooreii cross {(S. 'Leah Wilkerson) x (flava var. cuprea x mooreii)} just barely starting to pick up different shapes, colors, and sizes.
SeedlingsOct2010006.jpg

Bug...
Lookin' good! :bigthumpup:

Keep experimenting and keep us posted!

Wow. The difference is astounding. Are you using osmocote pellets?

DUDE!!!! Those look AMAZING!!!! Great job there.

Nice job Vic! What does LH78 look like right now?

Looking Great! How old are the seedlings?

Great job!

Looking great Vic, those crosses sound fantastic! Which concentration Osmocote pellets did you go with?

Thanks Yann, I'm using Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food (Outdoor/Indoor) 19-6-12. I'm experimenting with different numbers of pellets but would stick to what is recommeded in Brittnacher (2009). See ICPS Carnivorous Plant Newsletter volume 38 #2. I'm having good results so far with that. If you can't find it pm me your email address.
Looking great Vic, those crosses sound fantastic! Which concentration Osmocote pellets did you go with?

Hello, Any reason why 13-4-5 wouldn't work? Slightly lower levels of each.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

I have some of the Jobe's Fertilizer Spikes 13-4-5

Experiment how you wish. I've grown from seed for years now without fertilizer using the methods started by scientists at Meadowview Biological Research Staion http://www.pitcherplant.org/Five-Step-Process/Propagation.html. Currently, I'm trying a method recommended by a publication mentioned earlier in this thread. However, I'm sure several methods and different types of fertilizers can be used. Determination of how successful (or not) other fertilizers or methods are is up to what works for you. If you have never grown Sarracenia from seed I would start without fertilizer and if you want to get "risky" later give it a go. If you already grow from seed experiment how you wish but keep in mind where and how these plants grow naturally and respect it.

North American Pitcher Plants are are the ultra marathoners of the plant world-they go as far as they can with as little sustanance as possible, but on occasion need nutrition or they will go no further and ultimately not reproduce. Adapted to a nutrient limited environment, their modified leaves allow animal capture for necessity. So in theory fertilizer is not needed when grown outside because the fertilize themselves, however if your interested in getting them to a flowering age as quick as possible indoors in the winter where there are less bugs limited fertilizer could help. When experimenting, too little is better than too much. Sorry for the long answer. Short version:
I don't know. Give it a try on a few plants and see.

Hello, Any reason why 13-4-5 wouldn't work? Slightly lower levels of each.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

I have some of the Jobe's Fertilizer Spikes 13-4-5

Thank you very much for the reply. I did go ahead and pick up a 3 lb container of the Osmocote 19-6-12 at walmart on clearance for $3 :) Seems like a good deal. Can use it on other non CP plants as well. I plan to drop maybe 3 pellets in each of my styrofoam cups. Sound about right?

2010-10-11_16-37-49_394.jpg

Back