Hi all! This is my first post on the forums! Over the months, I've learned most of what I know from snooping on threads on this board.
I've been dabbling in CP cultivation since early spring, but recently I got serious about it (read: "got bitten by the bug") and got myself a grow rack and expanded my collection (see my grow list in my sig).
I've read Savage Garden cover to cover and have a pretty good idea about what plant needs what. But as my first dormancy as a CP grower approaches, I'm sort of nervous about how I'm going to pull it off in my Brooklyn apartment!
I have the following plants that require dormancy:
S. Flava (don't laugh, I know that raising it under artificial light amounts to cruel torture, but it was my first CP and I bought it not knowing that it really doesn't do well indoors. You can tell from the pic of my grow rack that it is quite depressed, the poor thing).
S. x "Mardi Gras"
D. Muscipula Typical
D. Muscipula "Akai Ryu"
D. Filiformis var. Tracyii
D. Binata (still trying to identify exactly what kind... it came growing in my S. Flava. and I propagated it out into a new pot. Bonus! )
D. x Beleziana
Currently, those plants along with the rest of my collection are in my grow rack under a 16 hour photoperiod.
I suppose my question has 2 parts:
1) It's about time that I gradually start reducing the photoperiod in anticipation of the start of dormancy around Halloween. What, in your experience, should be my target photoperiod? I've heard anywhere from 7 to 12 hours, so any input you can provide would help.
2) Given my location and my space constraints, what method of dormancy would you recommend? I have a few options:
- Cool south-facing window. It gets a decent amount of sun, and proximity to the window might let the temperature get down into the 40's.
- Unheated entrance hall - I can pack my plants into a tupperware container and stick them in my unheated entrance hall. There's no direct sunlight and temperatures will probably hover between 30 and 40 degrees.
- Fridge - I'd like to avoid this one at all costs. I've already encroached on my girlfriend's study space with my grow rack (and just in time for her toughest semester of her pre-med post-bac program, no less!), so I fear if she came home one day to find our fridge stuffed with plants, they would end up in the toilet!
Any and all advice, comments, anecdotes, or tall tales you can offer would be much appreciated!
P.S., as a n00b, I might have posted in the wrong forum. Admins, please move this post as needed!