User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Red Pitcher from Lowe's today. Advice Please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave,
    when you say the plant "was outside in the greenhouse area" do you mean really outside?
    the area of Lowes stores with just the thin roof to protect from rain, but not literally inside the store?
    exposed to outside air and outside temps?
    if so, thats good! because the plant has been probably been in that area for months..which means its been exposed to decreasing light and decreasing temps..(well, it probably hasnt been getting enough natural light, but being exposed to outdoor temps is a definite plus..)

but if the plant has been in the "indoor" part of Lowes, where they keep houseplants, and the part of the store that is heated..thats a bit more problematic..because in that case the plant really has no idea what season it is..its internal clock is all messed up..it doesn't know its autumn and it should be practically fully dormant already..buying a plant like that in April is no problem, because it has all summer to prepare for dormancy..but buying an "indoor" sarr in October is trickier, when it comes to how to handle the plant for the upcoming winter..

although we also have no way of knowing exactly when the plan arrived at Lowes!
    but we cant really do anything about that..
    just FYI, for future reference, Autumn and early winter are about the *worst* times to buy a new VFT or Sarr..Spring is always best..summer is ok..autumn is definitely the worst, (unless you know for a fact the plant has been grown outdoors all season)..winter is ok if its late winter going into spring.

but..having said all that, the plant looks very healthy! it should do fine..
    So where exactly at Lowes was it when you bought it?
    the answer to that will determine if you should let the plant think its October, or if you should let it think its summer until Spring..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    Be sure to acclimate the sundew, it'll be a lot more sensitive than the Sarrs. There's no need at all to acclimate the Sarr. Only the ones that have been there for quite some time will need to be acclimated. The same can be for VFTs. The few I've gotten from Lowes I've always just placed directly outside without problem. The current leaves will get burnt by the intensity of the sun's light but the new leaves will be ready to take it on. As mentioned be sure to have someplace like a garage or shed ready for dormancy if you plan on letting it go dormant. Congrats on the additions
    Thanks. I will have some reading to do on this Sundew. Is my first.

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Dave,
    when you say the plant "was outside in the greenhouse area" do you mean really outside?
    the area of Lowes stores with just the thin roof to protect from rain, but not literally inside the store?
    I guess technically it was "inside". Out store is layed out as such...Full Outside Greenhouse area where they store shrubs, typical flowers, mulch, etc... An Inner what I would call "Tropical Greenhouse area where it is slightly heated and they store cacti and the VFT, Sarrs, Sundew etc... And then the INNER store area. Mine were in the middle section. Unlike Meijer (Wal-Mart type store) that keeps them Inside in the cut flower section. Does this help?

So today I picked up the Sarr and a Sundew.
    Currently I own Dormant 1 VFT, 1 Dormant Sarracenia & One Purple Pitcher
    I am a Warrior... Soldier at heart, but I love the CP World. Support Leads HOOAH!

http://www.cafepress.com/LifeGrowsfromLove

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, yeah I know the area of Lowes you mean..we have the same arrangement out here..
    well, thats a tricky one then..could go either way with the plant..
    its really quite impossible to know what season the plant "thinks" it is in..

So I guess it would be best to stick it with your other plants and try to give it a winter dormancy this winter..it looks quite healthy, so it will probably do fine!

Scot

Scot

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. adelaegrow well on window sills, grow racks, terraria.... Keep watered and lit and it will do well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the advice and Info. I am excited.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    As mentioned be sure to have someplace like a garage or shed ready for dormancy if you plan on letting it go dormant. Congrats on the additions
    Does it have to go into dormancy this year? Should I feed it something since it has been in the cube virtually starving?
    I am a Warrior... Soldier at heart, but I love the CP World. Support Leads HOOAH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets fix one misconception right now. Carnivorous plants do not need to be fed, and they won't die if they aren't. However, they do grow faster with food.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in the dormancy question, too. EverDave - looks like we went on a Lowe's CP shopping spree around the same time! I got myself a VFT, D. Adelae, and S. Purpurea. I'm thinking I'm going to let both the VFT and Sarr skip dormancy this year since they're fresh out of tissue culture and are probably in rough shape after weeks in their death cubes. It'll be a tough year for them, but I think they'll be better off not going through dormancy yet.

Of course, I welcome the *real* experts to put me in my place if I'm talking crazy talk right now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are my thoughts as well. I think if we let them go dormant it might "do'em in".
    Expert advice appreciated as well. I may just keep them under artificial light in the house.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast