User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Red Pitcher from Lowe's today. Advice Please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its another misconception that dormancy is "more dangerous" than no dormancy..
    for a normal plant, dormancy is very healthy, necessary in fact..and no dormancy = death.

but yes, these are not "normal" plants..at least not yet..
    they need a full year of normal seasons to get themselves acclimated..

I'm thinking I'm going to let both the VFT and Sarr skip dormancy this year since they're fresh out of tissue culture..
    thats the crux of the problem..you dont *know* if they are fresh out of TC..of if they have been in the death cubes languishing for half a year..

If they have actually been in the cubes only a few weeks, I agree generally its probably safer to skip dormancy for this winter...but if they have been in the cubes since spring, and in a *somewhat* decent environment, then they might already be attempting to go dormant right now..and it would be best to continue that..

Probably the best way to tell how the long the plant has been in the cube is the overall condition of the death cube plant when you buy it..
    If its all perky and fresh and looks really nice, then yes, its probably quite recently out of TC..its not *ready* for dormancy at all, because it hasnt had months to prepare for it..I think in Daves case, his plant probably falls into that category..it could probably handle either method..dormancy or no...at this point, I have to agree No dormancy is probably the somewhat safer course..only because of the time of year, and because the plant looks so good...

but generally speaking, a lot of people seem to think that ANY death cube plant should *always* skip the first winters dormancy..this is not always true..and sometimes that could be a very bad idea..it depends on the plant, its condition, and when you buy it..

any death cube plant purchased March - August should just go outside with the rest of the collection and be allowed to go dormant that winter...Death cube plants really shouldnt be puchased Oct-Feb at all IMO..but if you do buy one in the winter, then yes, the plant really cant handle dormancy, and its probably best to keep it in a bright windowsill all winter, put it outside in the spring, then let it go dormant the following winter...

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scot,

Thank you so much for the response. I agree with you 100%
    Currently I own Dormant 1 VFT, 1 Dormant Sarracenia & One Purple Pitcher
    I am a Warrior... Soldier at heart, but I love the CP World. Support Leads HOOAH!

http://www.cafepress.com/LifeGrowsfromLove

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Probably the best way to tell how the long the plant has been in the cube is the overall condition of the death cube plant when you buy it..
    If its all perky and fresh and looks really nice, then yes, its probably quite recently out of TC..its not *ready* for dormancy at all, because it hasnt had months to prepare for it..I think in Daves case, his plant probably falls into that category..it could probably handle either method..dormancy or no...at this point, I have to agree No dormancy is probably the somewhat safer course..only because of the time of year, and because the plant looks so good...
    Looks like I'm in the same boat as Dave here. I picked my plants up the same weekend as him. I had been popping my head into Lowes a couple weekends in a row while setting up my grow rack, and didn't see any CPs. Then, they had 'em. Looks like it was a fresh shipment. I can't imagine they leave the plants sitting around for too long after tissue culture before shipping them out. The plants were also all in nice shape.

These plants were also kept in the indoor section, nowhere near sunlight and shaded from most of the store lighting by other death cubes.

So, looks like I'll skip dormancy! Thanks for the info.

Going forward, though, I'll take your advice and not buy any death cubes outside of the plants' normal growing season. Hoping that during the spring they'll have some darlingtonia death cubes. That would be nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I am going to let it and my VFT pass through dormacy this year. Think it will be best.
    The Sarr is doing well and seems to be taking to the sunlight very well. I did place a few freeze dried blood worms in a few pitchers to help it along since I did re-pot it.
    I am a Warrior... Soldier at heart, but I love the CP World. Support Leads HOOAH!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    Lets fix one misconception right now. Carnivorous plants do not need to be fed, and they won't die if they aren't. However, they do grow faster with food.
    I'm not 100% sure that I would agree with that assertion. For a plant like D. indica, it's feed early and often. Beyond that, and having no statistial data to back anything up, logic dictates that since a carnicorous plants is indeed carnivorous, it is so for a purpose. I would think that given enough time with just light and water, it stands a good chance of dying from lack of nutrition. Again, I have no data and am looking at the carnivorosity angle of the plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would post a pic or two to let you see how it is doing. I bought it in tonight because it is supposed to get down to 40 tonight and 38 tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever - i would leave the plants out 24hrs a day 365 days a year....
    Sarracenia and flytraps are full sun (means just that, full sun!) and temperate, meaning they go dormant
    im not sure if someone has gone over this in a previous post as i have not the time to read over it all at this point, but these plants generally grow from late spring into early/mid fall and are dormant between those times over the winter etc...
    in order for this process to occur however, these plants need to be outdoors, as inducing dormancy indoors is a royal pain in the $*%.
    depending on where you are, there should be no reason to have to bring these plants in at any point, if they are in a big enough pot, they shouldnt die from a freeze unless its a severe SEVERE one...
    ive had my plants go through 4F freezes for over a week and still come back in the following spring...
    though now i generally place them in the shed if it drops below 20 or so for an extended period of time....
    they are much more hardy than people let on to be....
    the plants really do need this dormancy time, as it allows them to essentially "rest" for the next growing season...without the dormancy period, the plants will eventually weaken, and die...same goes as if the plants are not in strong enough light, they will etiolate, (stretch out for light, and weaken) and also, through this, eventually die from lack of sufficient light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    i would leave the plants out 24hrs a day 365 days a year....
    No No No...not in Fort Wayne, Indiana..
    WAYYY too cold for 24/365 growing..

You can only safely do outdoor winter dormancy in zone 7 or higher..
    Fort Wayne is zone 5! very very cold..

Scot

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast